Inventory for each location

Pathfinder
114 0 56

The new POS looks and feels awesome - nice start!

We have 4 locations... and 4 individual inventories. Locations seems useless without inventory control? Or how does Shopify POS users with 2+ locations handle inventory?

/Kim

37 Likes
Excursionist
36 0 14

Exactly what I'm trying to find out too!

Also we have store A + store B, both with their own inventory, and web orders are fulfilled only from store A, so only this inventory should be used for website inventory.

Finally is there a way we can 'check in' stock moving between locations?

5 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
235 0 27

Hi Kim, 

Thanks for the question.

iPads can be associated with locations and thus all your orders can be grouped via locations. This is helpful for reporting and tracking of sales.

It is currently not possible to explicitly associate products/inventory to locations. However, I have seen customers manage multiple location inventory with collections. They create collections for their specific locations (say "Location A" and "Location B") and then populate the locations with appropriate products. They create duplicates of products that exist at both locations. Then they show/hide collections where appropriate. Perhaps this might work for you?

We will likely try to tackle this in the future, but this is the best workaround for now.

1 Like
Excursionist
36 0 14

Thank for the update,

This is pretty fundamental for any business with more than one location, is there any more information on a roadmap for Shopify POS rather than just 'you'll try to tackle this' ? With the current workaround is there a way to duplicate a collection, with the products in? I'm not going to be doing this for thousands of products otherwise!

Seems like a nice start for POS, but some key areas have been missed

Michael

4 Likes
Pathfinder
114 0 56

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the workaround - but we already have so many workarounds and this one would be a "no go". Not very scaleable and the whole idea of linking the product database would be gone.

We would like to switch to Shopify POS - but it requires one of:
1) Better functionality
2) Save time
3) Save money

We will keep an open eye for the updates coming :-)

/Kim

And +1 for more open road maps. Would make it easier to be a loyal Shopify customer :)

4 Likes
1 0 2

Hi Andrew,

We would also be inline for separate locations that would integrate with our preferred Inventory Management program Tradegecko (which they are keen to provide once Shopify supports this as they already have multi-location ability).

Can I ask the community what they use currently for iPad based POS/Inventory management with Multi-location capability?  We are still trying to find a solution that integrates with Shopify having developed our store in it, and Xero.

Kind regards

Jess

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi Andrew,

You mentioned in your reply that "iPads can be associated with locations and thus all your orders can be grouped via locations".  Can you point me to where to set this up on either Shopify POS or Shopify?

I've spoken to TradeGecko today who are very keen to progress the Multi-Location integration but are saying that there's nothing from the POS that tells them which location each transaction is coming.

Any help to progress this would be appreciated.

Cheers, Rob

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
78 0 5

Our team at Stitch Labs, understands that the multi-location functionality is important to sellers with multiple outlets or stores. We have built our integration with Shopify so that you can select whether or not to pool inventory or isolate it specifically to a certain outlet/store. This will then give you better control over what inventory quantities are available to your online Shopify store. 

At this time, this functionality isn't yet available to us via the API. When it does become available, it will allow apps like Stitch to bring additional functionality for multi-location inventory management to Shopify POS.

The biggest challenge many businesses face with systems like Square, which offers a cost-effective way to process payments, is that Square is much more of a credit card reader, not a full POS, so it lacks certain more robust functionality like inventory management and stock control store owners need. Additionally, since Square has a closed API, you can't sync your inventory quantities with your Shopify store, creating the risk of problems like overselling.

- Bridge

Shopify Inventory Management www.StitchLabs.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
17 0 1

Is it possible to show and hide 'Collection A' only on 'Location A POS' and for 'Collection B' to only appear on 'Location B POS'?

Thanks

David

0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 10

I agree completely, this is not a realistic workaround and POS doesn't really support multiple locations if it doesn't support different sets of inventory at each location.

1 Like