Inventory for each location

Shopify Partner
17 0 1

I'm using http://www.vendhq.com for multiple store tracking.

Brightpearl is pretty amazing at what it does but you can't simply setup an account and start using it. You have to go through Brightpearls "training", shame really as they probably loose lots of business. I also understand that Brightpearl want to show their customers how to use it effectively etc etc

Michael, I've looked at this now for weeks and the Shopify POS is very basic. If you want more, reporting, tracking, stock transfers, loyalty system and syncing with Shopify look at Vend. The POS is far more advanced and you save the money on not needing to buy iPads.

We are using Vend for two shops down here in Brighton, not far from you :)

0 Likes
Excursionist
36 0 14

Hi David,

The POS being basic is fine, but its the things like reporting, stock transfers etc that are lacking. Which for the moment we can do without with, but would make life alot easier.

The Shopify Advanced Reports are rubbish, you get more out of exporting the data to CSV.

I've heard horror stories about Vend and Shopify Inventory not working correctly - obviously not your experience?

0 Likes
Pathfinder
114 0 56

We also use Shopify + Vend and now also Shopify POS.
Our locations:
HQ: Shopify
Shop1 (HQ): Shopify POS
Shop2: Vend
Shop3: Vend

Vend definately has more functionality - but there are many bugs. We are experiencing some very basic problems with Vend where we need to accept work-arounds. There are also mis-match between some data like Vendor / manufacturer. This means you will have to choose if part of Vend or Shopify gets useless.

We have experienced problems with the inventory and generally it doesn't feel rock solid.

Vend has some advanced functionality which is really cool - if it works, and you need it.

In the day to day use we prefer Shopify POS. It is easier, faster to use and just feels better. Shopify POS scales better. Easy to open an extra ipad if busy.

Yes, coming from Vend there are things that we miss - but the Shopify POS team is extremely responsive and it sounds like the roadmap will make us even more happy :)

/Kim
Morfars.dk

1 Like
Shopify Partner
17 0 1

Thanks for the update Kim! Our main issue with Shopify POS is that it doesn't show VAT breakdown in reports, no stock transfer, no inventory tracking on locations, can't hold multiple open orders and then there's £800 for two iPads :)

We are using Vend in the browser which is quick (not tested ipad yet).

I will keep an eye on this inventory tracking.

0 Likes
Pathfinder
114 0 56

David, I'm almost in the same situation - in much need of:
-inventory tracking on locations (will require some sort of stock transfer)
-orders on hold
-force new employee after each sale
-language on receipt

BUT, with Vend we are fighting:
-browser problems like crazy (localization, updates, bugs)
-general PC unstability
-online update of products bugging
-receipts printing terrible (almost unreadable)
-vendor/manufacturer mismatch making Vend purchase function useless
-csv export bugging

With Shopify I know that when they launch a feature it will work. With Vend it seems random and we get "...not urgent...later...maybe".

iPad compared to a fully working PC with touch screen... I take the iPad - scales much better and uptime is way better.
If we need 2 x POS in one shop - then with Vend we need to pay for 2 and run them as seperate POS's. With Shopify we just open the next iPad.

/Kim

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
17 0 1

Kim, do you mean with the Vend ipad app you have to pay twice? On the browser version we can simple setup and computer and have a different user login on the same outlet, no extra cost.

0 Likes
Pathfinder
114 0 56

We were told that it was not safe / supported. That it would mess up the invoice numbering using the same POS at the same time on 2 PC's.

0 Likes
3 0 0

Wow! Sought of glad to see you guys are having these problems as well.

Our locations:
HQ: Shopify
Shop1 (HQ): Shopify POS
Shop2: Vend (inactive - temporarily on offline POS)

Agree with Kim on the breakdown of different available options.

Vend= features are exactly what we need, but inaccurate and performance issues

Multi location inventory badly needed in Shopify POS. Also need...Cost price!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
17 0 1

We are running Vend in a live environment. The stock transfers and inventory management are working smooth, early day though.

One major bug I've discovered is a rounding issue on random prices calculating VAT EG 6.99 rounds to 7. Pain in the a** but we have a "work around" for it. Sadly the issue reported to Vend in June 2012!! I know what it's like supporting software but you would think this would bug would have been addresses by now. Fingers crossed they fix it soon.

Any other POS you guys have tested?

I'll keep you posted on our usage, right now the inventory is working well for what we need.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
15 0 6

We have the same issue.  We're using Vend and Shopify and the vendor/brand mismatch is super annoying.  I'm not sure what quick and dirty fix to use that will allow us to continue making purchase orders in Vend.  Any ideas of a workaround?  

I am ready to switch to Shopify POS... as soon as they allow multiple inventories for our different stores!  

And seeing as the Shopify API does not even support such functionality, I'm assuming that there is no app for Shopify that will make the Shopify POS suit our needs...?  

Does anyone know of a solid POS system that is not buggy and has the functionality we need?  Surely someone must have figured it out...

0 Likes