Inventory tracking for custom products

5 0 0

We run a brick and mortar store where we have blank t-shirts and then designs from local artists that can be printed on the shirts. Customers pick a blank shirt/sweatshirt, then decide which image they'd like to print on it. Artists get paid commissions on whatever sells with their art on it. I'd like to find a way to track the inventory of the blank shirt, and also which design was chosen, and at what dollar amount (without having to do a note on each individual order). Any ideas?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
90 2 10

Whenever I run into a gap along these lines I typically create a dummy stock item or a quick sale type of item. You could create a zero dollar dummy item for each artist's design. Just add the dummy item as a line item to the blank t-shirt sale item. If there are a good amount of them, then punch them into an Excel sheet and upload them into Shopify. Would this work?

0 Likes
5 0 0

Thanks for your response. How do I add a line item to the blank t-shirt sale item?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
90 2 10

It would appear like any other product in the list. Just tap it on the mobile device so it's added to cart. The sale receipt would reflect two line items --- the blank t-shirt, and the design. 

0 Likes
5 0 0

How would I attach the $ amount to the design though? If there are multiple items in a sale I'd need to connect the blank price with the design. We pay our artist by commission so we need to track the $ amount for their design.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
90 2 10

That might be tough. Maybe reflect the commission amount as the retail price, and then have the salesperson discount it down to zero. That way the original commission price would appear in places in the system. Although you probably wouldn't want the customer's receipt looking like that.

The dummy stock item still makes sense. Although you'd have to export out the reports to determine commissions. Dump to Excel, have conditional formulas that define the commission amounts based on those dummy line items.

0 Likes
5 0 0

The way we're doing it now is have the blank priced at $0. We put the shirt price in the SKU field so that it will print on the barcode. Then at checkout we scan the shirt and then select the design on the POS and have a drop down of all possible prices. Select the price of the shirt and we're done. It's a workaround for sure. I was hoping that there was maybe a way to have an option after you scan the shirt, to add a "custom" option to an item or something like that. Maybe that is not possible at the moment.

0 Likes