Is Shopify POS really going anywhere???

3 0 0

hi all, I will be opening my brick and mortar retail (scarf) shop and soon after my e-commerce site. I am leaning towards shopify for POS+e-commerce. However, all the comments above are making me worried about the shopify POS. Do you recommend it for a retail shop ? 

my concern is if I dont choose shopify for POS, what should I choose and would that be compatable w shopify e-commerce to interact.

thanks for your input :)

0 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 7

Hi Seller student 

Shopify POS is really good POS for very simple business.

The moment you have complex business transaction to do ex( Lay always, purchased on account and complex refunds) the teething problems begin to appear . 

Maybe I should call it growing pains since shopify POS is so old and some problems haven't been attended to . 

Regards 

Best of luck with your new venture . 

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Technology should be simple enough for anyone to use.
1 Like
Excursionist
16 0 8

Alex how are you finding Lightspeed? I did an in-depth comparison trial of the two systems and found a few dealbreakers with Lightspeed:

1) The limited and overly-simplistic designs for ecommerce websites

2) The fact that it can't work offline when there are breaks in wifi connection

Do you find it better than Shopify? If so why?

Thanks,

Jackson

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
66 0 8

I like their inventory management better, for instance:

1) History of sales without going into reports

2) How many I have at hand vs backorder vs on order

3) Logging when inventory change

4) COGS is impoprtant to me

At the time of our move to lightspeed shopify still hadn't fix their reporting with problems with the returns and taxes, I waited a year before moving and it too them another year to fix it (haven't really tested the fix but it suppose to be).

Ecommerce we are still using shopify, but only because payment processor in Canada still limited. But we will be moving soon to their ecommerce since they've change it quite a bit.

For offline I have a local database that I use, but is not something official from lightspeed but they have API just like shopify to be able to acomplish those things. 

1 Like
Excursionist
16 0 8

Okay good to know, thanks. 

0 Likes
3 0 0

Thank you Eddy,

Can Shopify give access to the customer or inventory  database to make queries?

Can it handle returns without a problem for just one shop?

thank you

0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 2

It's 2016 and shopify POS is literally a POS for my business. 

Don't get me wrong but it can be good for a simple shop with few items, but if you're a big chain, they don't really work out.. its quite sad.. 

0 Likes
3 0 0

hi all,

I am really new to the retail world, and very surprised to hear that there is no one trustworthy solution. what solution do the big chains using for pos+ecommerce combined solution such as Macy's, Banana Republic etc.

If a simple exchange/return is an issue, the shopify pos is not good for one shop either.

thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
195 0 11

The big chains use heavy weight systems called ERP (enterprise resource planning).

They cost millions, which is not a problem for big chains.

I know this because for over a decade, I worked in the largest London retail head offices, so know what functionality you are looking for.

When purchase orders are placed, then delivered, the inventory can be allocated from whse, packer etc to brick and mortar stores.

We are working towards this solution. We're bootstrapping at great personal cost but are getting close now.

The upside is the right functionality at a low price.(we don't have investment)

the down side is that it's taken longer than anticipated- but we're coming soon!

?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 3

Yes, 2016, and the Shopify POS module still has a way to go.  This original post was 2014!  2 years and not much has changed.  So many limitations for a program we pay dearly every month for.  In paying for a system for 2 years close to $250/mo (adding up all the apps because out of the box Shopify is limited), a custom enterprise solution could have been purchased.

Sadly, we are looking for other solutions.  I like the ease of use, but the features just aren't there to support modern brick mortar / e-commerce shops.  WHich is what attracted us to Shopify in the first place.  I thought they figured out the link to brick mortar & online shops.  There are PLENTY of us out here that dominate our local neighborhoods, and also the interent and we rely on both to generate revenue.

0 Likes