Issue with partial refunds and partial payments on orders

Excursionist
16 0 8

I've run into an issue where the "take payment" button for partially paid orders disappears after a partial refund has been issued, even if there is a remaining outstanding balance. The "Mark as Paid" button also disappears on desktop.

I have a cheque in my hand waiting to be applied to an active order with an outstanding balance but I have no way of applying the payment. I was told by Shopify support that I need to cancel the order and re-do it as a new order, but that's not an acceptible solution as it will cause a major headache for our accounting and taxes.

Anyone else run into this issue and find a better solution or work-around? I'm hoping they will fix this bug quickly because I have dozens of customers who will be affected and frustrated by this if it isn't.

Thank you,
Jackson

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 3

I am also having an issue with this.  We accept a partial payment on an order via Shopify POS, then that order disappears from the 'cash register' ipad, and can only be accessed thru the Unpaid Orders section of Shopify Admin Portal.  From there, I can no longer add the remaining balance of the payment to close out the order.  Which seems ridiculous, then what is the purpose of being able to apply partial payment, if the balance cannot be applied at a later date.    This was NOT thought thru.

So, now there is a balance on the order, the order is still set as partial-paid, but there is NO way to add the balance payment.

Your telling me that Shopify wants you to void out that order, re-enter, then apply the full payment?  That just doesn't make sense at all.  We provide some clients with Net 15 / Net 30 day terms.  How is it possible not to apply the remaining balance on an order?

Yes, any help or a work around that doesn't involve deleting the original order, would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like
Excursionist
16 0 8

I'm emailing with Shopify Support about this and they tell me that it's been escalated to their higher technical team to be fixed, since it's clearly a bug in their code.

2 Likes
2 0 0

does Shopify justr mark these "Outdated" when their stumped?

0 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 7

I have a similar situation in my business . 

I then had a private app developed to Run me statements .

The statement has all possible scenarios that a order can have . 

Attached is a example of how it looks . 

If if you wish I could put you in touch with the developer who done mine . 

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Technology should be simple enough for anyone to use.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
660 0 102

I may be missing something here, but why don't you add the final payment from the POS iPad app by going to orders, selecting the order and tapping 'Take payment'?

0 Likes
Excursionist
29 0 7

The take payment button disapears after doning a restock on 'partially paid order.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Technology should be simple enough for anyone to use.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
660 0 102

Got ya. I get the problem now.

0 Likes
2 0 0

I have the same issue. What is the solve (if there is one)?

ty

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3 0 0

Hi .. We have this issue of not being able to take payments for other 5 unpaid items after 1 item has been returned for what ever reason. 

And Shopify has known about this since 12-30-2016 is amazing and still not fixed. We really need this escalated please.. Who else can we contact to fix this bug?

0 Likes