Online sales tax

Highlighted
1 0 0
Silly question probably, but when we charge sales tax for those applicable transactions, are we paid that amount for us to then remit that sales tax? Or does Shopify collect it and pay it appropriately?
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
129 19 28

Hi, @Blueskylacey.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

Shopify doesn’t file or remit your sales taxes for you, so these funds will come to you directly. When you get paid, additional fees may apply depending on your plan and payment gateway(s). For example, if you use Shopify Payments, you'll see the credit card fees associated with your plan appear on each payout. If you're using a third party gateway to accept payments instead, you'll see the transaction fees associated with your plan on your subscription invoice. 

We have more information on taxes here in the Help Center. This document covers how to handle the tax setup in your admin and it also includes specific sections with more details depending on your region. If you haven't already, I recommend consulting with a tax professional to determine whether your business is required to charge taxes and if so, how much. I'm here if you have further questions.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes