POS CC Reader (Non Shopify-Payments)

2 0 0

Hello All,

I have both an online store and POS, neither use Shopify-Payments. I am using Stripe and PayPal for processing sales.  I need a credit card reader for the POS system and it seems I can not use the Shopify hardware (card reader) as I am not using the the Shopify payment system (Shopify-Payments).  Is this correct?  I contacted strip about a credit card reader and it seems they only off CC Readers for their own POS system and I need payments to still go through Shopify to track them and handle inventory.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Thank you for you all for your time.

-Alan

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
214 18 43

Hi, Alan!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

You can most definitely use the Shopify POS app with an external card reader, including Stripe’s. To do so, you’ll first need to set up an account with Stripe (or possibly upgrade your existing account to accept in-person payments), and then purchase a terminal from them. 

After you have set up your account with Stripe and you have a card reader, all you will need to do on Shopify’s end is simply enable the External terminal as a payment method in your POS settings. We have instructions on how to do so here

Once that’s done, whenever you accept payment in person, you will just need to select “External terminal” as a payment method. The Shopify POS app will then record the transaction and mark it as paid, adjusting your inventory as necessary, but the payment is processed and collected by your external terminal provider, not Shopify.

I hope this clears things up! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
2 0 0

Gotcha, that helps!  Am I correct in thinking that I can not use Shopify Card Readers if I am not using Shopify Payments?  

I already purchased two wireless card readers and I can't return them and I couldn't get them to connect.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
214 18 43

I'm glad that helps! 

That is correct. Although, there is an exemption for merchants who are using the swipe card readers (both the audio-jack and lightning models), as these particular card readers support Authorize.net and First Data Payeezy as third-party payment gateways. Unfortunately, however, they are not compatible with Stripe. Aside from those two third-party providers, all of our card readers are exclusively for Shopify Payments. 

Is there a reason why you are using Stripe as opposed to Shopify Payments? Which card readers did you purchase? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

HI Julie, 

Very helpful, and seems to be working to a degree. We're using Authorize.net, set up our Auth.net account in Shopify and walked through steps for External Terminal. Processed a test sale using my card. However, any additional sale is processing before tapping/swiping/chipping the card. Seems to be defaulting the card account I used to test.

Also, there is a "Connect Card Reader" alert box that pops up in front the External Terminal button during the customer checkout process. 

Is there a process we missed?

Thanks

Tim

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
214 18 43

Hey, Tim!

Which card reader are you currently using? Because Authorize.net is a payment gateway compatible with the Shopify POS, you could use one of our own card readers. Doing so, you wouldn't need to select the "External Terminal" option and would instead be able to process the transaction by selecting the "Credit Card" option. If you are using a third-party card reader, however, then you will need to use the "External Terminal" payment option when processing a transaction. Are you able to elaborate more on the issue you are facing when using this method?

As for your question regarding the "Connect Card Reader" notification, this is intended for those who are looking to connect a card reader that was purchased through the Shopify Hardware Store. If you have a supported card reader, then you can connect it to the POS app using this option. Please let me know which card reader you're using; it sounds like it may be compatible with the Shopify POS, but it would be great to confirm whether this is the case. 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

1 Like