POS In Australia

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
65 0 13

@David - Do you mind starting a new forum thread for this question? We can help you out there.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
65 0 13

We've sourced and confirmed hardware in Australia that will work with Shopify POS:

Receipt Printer (Star Micronics TSP143L)

Cash Drawer (NEXA CB-900 - compatible with the receipt printer, includes cable)

Barcode Scanner (Socket Mobile 7Ci 1D - also available in blue, red, and yellow)

Barcode Printer (Dymo LabelWriter 450 USB)

You can order the iPad stand we show on our website directly from Heckler Design. They've told me they will try to find the cheapest shipping rate possible to Australia.

Check out the Shopify barcode printing app that works with the barcode printer listed above.

Hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions about finding hardware in Australia.

2 Likes
Shopify Expert
9981 84 1491

Thanks David -- That's useful info.
(and that supplier is only a few minutes away - so that's a little bonus!)

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi David, does Shopify have plans to enable bar code printing from back office eg. using web browser on a PC with bar code printer oonnected?  As you can appreciate many of us have already invested a lot of money in POS hardware.

Cheers Brad

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
65 0 13

Hi Brad, We support printing barcodes from the web browser using the Shopify Barcode Printer app: https://apps.shopify.com/barcode-printer

This app requires the Dymo LabelWriter 450.

0 Likes
2 0 1

Hey Guys,

I'm in Aus and everything is working perfectly EXCEPT the cash drawer to printer cable. Having A LOT of trouble getting the drawer to fire, so for now its old school keys :(

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi Jess - I am in Aus too and wondering if you used the printer recommended above in this thread or are using another one. I would ideally like to buy something a little cheaper?!? Which printer are you using? Ange

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
65 0 13

Jess and I have communicated over email about her cash drawer issue.

We've contacted the supplier above and they have confirmed that they carry the necessary cable for connecting the printer and cash drawer. They've also set up these bundles with everything you need to get started with Shopify POS.

0 Likes
1 0 0

This is the thread I have been looking for!

Thanks for the info on the Australian supplier for the printer and cash drawer. For info, you don't need to buy a Bluetooth barcode scanner if you already have a USB one lying around. Buy an Apple Camera Connection Kit for $39 and you will be able to scan products regardless of the iPad stating it isn't a supported device.

Hopefully the card payment solution is sorted out soon. I am currently using Commonwealth Bank, and have to be honest am sick of them.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 7

I found all the gear at the pos99.com.au site before the info was posted here. All works perfectly.

But here's a major issue with Shopify POS in Australia.

Cash sales do not automatically round to the nearest 5 cents (we don't have 1 and 2 cent coins)...which is a pain to manually adjust at the close of the register shift. Yes, you can get around it by pricing all products to the nearest 5 cents...but that's a massive job in itself...and it's still a problem when some discounts are applied.

I emailed the feature request team a couple of weeks ago but no response (not good enough!). Even our old POS system from the early 90s could deal with this rounding issue! C'mon Shopify, please look after your Australian customers and fix it.

Other than the rounding issue (and not being able to issue and accept gift cards at POS), very happy so far.

0 Likes