POS Staff Permissions settings - Has this been fixed with update?

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 6

Hey everyone, super basic issue I'm hoping got addressed with the update.  Way back when our company planned on using Shopify POS for a new sales rep program.  Everyone would get a unit, we track via location, easy peasy.

However just days before launch we found that Shopify POS DOES NOT honor the staff permissions set in the dahsboard.  Our specific issue was that any user of a POS automatically saw and had access to the complete sales history of the company as a whole.  We protect our data and dont disclose figures, so the idea that some random young kid we hire to sell, would automatically get access to see our complete revenue in detail was a huge dealbreaker.  Not to mention it seems like a super super basic feature.  All we want is for each POS to only have the ability to lookup their own sales/orders.  Basically, just follow what the web portal already does. Basic permissions.

I was hoping that the recent update addressed this.  Can anyone confirm?  Or any work arounds?  

For any shopify team members in here, if this is fixed we will move our sales team back over to POS right now.  Our program doesnt need any kind of inventory tracking or location reporrs, just bare bones features. Really the only features we need are the ability to  (1) proces sales (2) sorted/filtered by location (3) while making each POS unit/user only see their own sales data.

4 Likes
Tourist
4 0 6

Hey guys, can I take the crickets to mean that this issue hasnt been addressed? lol

1 Like
Explorer
53 0 15

It is in the works based on discussions i have had with shopify.  depth and breadth not clear but my impression is that it is in advanced stage. 

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 6

Thats fantastic!  

Jason, can I ask if you found any workaround for this?  I thought about using multiple accounts or third party POS.  Right now I use a wonky system where we just use our website and assign 0% discount codes to each staff member.

Shopify if you are listening, please let us know the moment this happen!

1 Like
Explorer
53 0 15

have not uncovered a work around for this but to be fair it is not near the top of my to-do list.  I will say though that discussions with shopify continue to include this topic and I am genernally of the view that it will be implemented shortly (nebulous I know but I am not that far under the tent so think May-ish).  I am generally bullish on lots of fixes to what I would consider low hanging fruit that honestly should have been done at launch but I do think the team is now focused on addressing for the simple reason that the depth and breadth of the market requiring more than a one demensional cloud commerce solution is multiple times larger than what they originally built it for with the trick being to not let optionality create a sub-optimal execution experience.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
290 0 160

Hey there,

So far, staff permissions don't carry over to the POS but we've been getting requests about it! I can see the logic of having areas as off-limits to different tiers of staff.

Anything we might end up doing would probably be simpler as there are less menu areas on POS, but I'm going to add your name to the group of people who could really benefit from this. If I can find a workaround, I'll post it here.

Have a good one!

-Alex M.

Shopify Guru | support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Explorer
49 0 22

May I suggest Shopify not simply allocate random new hires to reply to board posts for the heck of it especially in areas where some of us have been contacted directly by the development team and know these issues are in process.  This update from Shopify comes across as Shopify ignoring the issue for months and then saying on this board 'great idea I will add your idea to list' which suggests another four months will pass until another reply from another new hire saying speak to the hand all over again.  Have development meeting that include your forum contributors or else dont reply because while Alex here is well intended she is obviously new and this place is riddled with people wanting solutions not a nice girl telling us our ideas are great and request will be added to the list.

2 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
290 0 160

Hey Jason,

Right now my job is to go through the posts in this subforum and try to determine what has been addressed. Since we don't have a feature to mark when your questions have been answered, I'm checking into a lot of tickets and making sure that if you asked for something four months ago, that it was made into a feature request four months ago. We're working on making sure forum merchants are being heard and it's taking some time to fact-check.

I definitely appreciate the personal feedback, though, that helps me do my job and avoid re-addressing things that have already been brought to the rest of the team. Super embarassing!

- Alex

Shopify Guru | support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
19 0 5

Hi guys,

I'm responsible for Shopify Retail and POS, as of not too long ago.  I asked Alex to help us be more responsive on the forums and to systematically send feedback in to the product and dev team.  So it's not hand-waving at all.  I'm looking closely at the top requests and the small number of important pain points and we're started on a few of them. 

This particular one is something we will address as part of improving staff permissions.  If we can do it simply and quickly, we will.  We'll keep you posted here.  I hope you see an improvement in communications moving forward and we'll be as transparent as we can.

Guy

1 Like
Excursionist
13 0 7

+1 This is a serious problem with Shopify POS. I can't imagine any business that would be happy with staff being able to see sales history. Please fix it. 

3 Likes