POS Staff Permissions settings - Has this been fixed with update?

2 0 3

I am also a business owner who uses shopify POS retail platform and am very unhappy with how much inforamtion is divulged to my seasonal employees. We are new to Shopify (using for 2 months) and have been severely dissapoited so far in the lack of settings available in regards to permissions. Please keep us updated on this fix as it is a serious issue for us as well. 

3 Likes
1 0 1

+1  I am currently assessing Shopify POS versus Vend, and both lack this feature.  Again, I don't want staff seeing our whole financial status.  I won't be using either system until permissions are acceptable.  I'll keep looking at options in the mean time.

1 Like
1 0 1

Having run a business for 20years on manual (pen and paper) finally getting a POS and finding our privacy is completely out the door we are seriously reconsidering if we should pull the plug and look elsewhere! As Digipro00 put it "a random young kind" were hiring can see all our takings it is very very frustrating!! And when you email or ring support all you get is this is a popular request we will email you when the feature is added not good enough! This is our private financial information you can do it for online why not POS. 

1 Like
1 0 0

+1 Definately need support in POS for sales reps - the system is ideal for sending out staff with an Ipad to conduct sales onsite, but the only data they need to see is their own sales history, etc. NOT the entire store. Seems like a pretty simple implementation - would be nice to see this internally instead of a 3rd party app. Can you guys get this done in the next few weeks? Please at least provide feedback to us here otherwise we're going to all start moving on to better solutions - I have my staff hunting for alternatives which I'm sure to post here if we find them.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
19 0 5

Hi guys,

I hear your frustration and want to address this.  I don't know timeframe yet.  Our UX researcher will reach out to a few of you to make sure we understand what you're looking for.  Please feel free to email me at guy.poirier at shopify.com if you'd like us to contact you.

Guy

Retail product team

1 Like
1 0 0

Hi,

I'm having the same issues.

I need to be able to hide the takings and also access to ADMIN from  POS, as we have had issues with employees changes prices, stock levels and even deleting products through the POS!! Not ideal!!

Can you please give me an idea of when this issue will be resolved?

Thanks Pip

0 Likes
1 0 1

This is a very big issue.  We do not need part time teen age kids having acess to our sales history or sales totals for the day.   they should only have acess ro the POS system to process sales.  Thsi is a VERY BIG Privacy Issue for us.  Our competion would love to kinow this information.  This needs a rapid correction or wee will need to look at other systems.

Thanks

Brad

1 Like
2 0 0

It's surprising how entitled some people on this thread seem to feel to a new feature. I'm certain this frustration is only a result of their deep passion and love for Shopify. Anyway, thanks to the team for looking into this. Shopify POS rocks!

One point to add: let's say I'm a "POS-ONLY" staff member. I don't have permission to access Admin, which is the way it should be. However, if I had bad intentions and I really wanted to access it I could do so pretty easily. All I need to do is to guess the 4 digit pin of a manager account. With one manager account the chance of guessing correctly is 1/10,000, with two it's 1/5,000... and it seems that I have an unlimited number of trials to guess! Even if I'm an unlucky guesser, I'll be in a manager account within hours and then I'll have direct access to Admin. 

Suggested simple fix:

- eliminate the PIN login for Manager accounts, they can use the already built-in "Manager Login" form (email plus password).

- to address the sales privacy issue people are complainig about here, limit the "Orders" view to only show sales processed by the logged-in account (be it a manager, or a POS-ONLY account). 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

It's surprising how entitled some people on this thread seem to feel to a new feature. I'm certain this frustration is only a result of their deep passion and love for Shopify. Anyway, thanks to the team for looking into this. Shopify POS rocks!

One point to add: let's say I'm a "POS-ONLY" staff member. I don't have permission to access Admin, which is the way it should be. However, if I had bad intentions and I really wanted to access it I could do so pretty easily. All I need to do is to guess the 4 digit pin of a manager account. With one manager account the chance of guessing correctly is 1/10,000, with two it's 1/5,000... and it seems that I have an unlimited number of trials to guess! Even if I'm an unlucky guesser, I'll be in a manager account within hours and then I'll have direct access to Admin. 

Suggested simple fix: 

- eliminate the PIN login for Manager accounts, they can use the already built-in "Manager Login" form (email plus password).

- to address the sales privacy issue people are complainig about here, limit the "Orders" view to only show sales processed by the logged-in account (be it a manager, or a POS-ONLY account). 

0 Likes
2 0 0

Thanks to the team for looking into this!

One point to add: let's say I'm a "POS-only" staff member. I don't have permission to access Admin, which is good and the way it should be. However, if I had bad intentions and wanted to steal/modify data I could still do so pretty easily. All I need to do is to guess the 4 digit pin of a manager account. With one manager account the chance of guessing correctly is 1/10,000, with two it's 1/5,000... and it seems that I have an unlimited number of trials to guess! Even if I'm unlucky at guessing, I'll get into a manager account within hours and then I'll have direct access to Admin. 

Suggested fix: 

- you could eliminate the PIN login for Manager accounts as managers can simply use the already built-in "Manager Login" form (email plus password)

- or you could just entirely eliminate "Open Admin" option from within the POS, there's no real need for it

- to address the sales privacy issue people are complaining about here, you could limit the "Orders" view to only show sales processed by the logged-in account (be it a manager or a POS-only account) 

Would be awesome to see this changed, Shopify POS rocks!

0 Likes