POS at markets, how to in Australia? with Shopify website.

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey there,

I am trying to work out how to set up a POS for markets in Austraia. Any tips would be so helpful!
Shopify's POS hardware is only for the US :/ What do you do for sales in person in Australia? Thanks!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
207 13 32

Hello! 

Ren here from the Shopify support team. Awesome to hear that you're ramping up to start selling in markets, it's a ton of fun and such a great way to get your business out there to locals. As for POS options, here's what you can do: 

1. Purchase third-party hardware available at Gorilla Labs or POS99

2. Use an external card reader. You'll need to set up an account with a payment processor and buy or rent a reader from them. When you process a sale with your terminal, you can mark the order as paid in your Shopify POS app. The actual payment will process through the terminal and you'll simply make record of it in the app. Here's how to enable external terminals and how to use them in action with your POS app.

Additionally, here are some work arounds to consider if you're not ready to invest in hardware:

-Use IOS or Android to scan barcodes with your rear camera.

-Retail Barcode Labels app - enables you to print barcodes for your products using a standard printer.

-Order Printer app - use to print receipts, invoices and packing slips straight from the POS app.

Do you have any questions about getting started with the suggestions above? Let me know how you get on with that, and we can chat about any troubles you run into!

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
2 0 0

Thanks Ren! That's really helpful.

The hardware on those hardware sites are fairly out of my price range.

I did look into  external card readers as you suggested. Square seems to be affordable, only charging on transactions.

Would you think that's okay? They sell to Australia, and mention can connect with Shopify :)

Thanks again,

Lucy

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
207 13 32

Hey, Lucy!

In theory, you can accept payment externally and the method can be up to you. In this case you would simply use the external terminal to accept payment. See how to enable that here

As for compatibility with Square specifically, it would be worth reaching out to Square support to see how they would advise moving forward. We do have some apps that assist in syncing inventory with Square - check the out here.  Let me know how it goes with Square, I'd love to know what Square support recommends in this instance.

Hope that helps! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes