POS causing mayhem with our inventory QTY on Hand, anyone else?

Tourist
4 0 4

We are seeing a huge problem with POS system, where it randomly reduces our inventory on hand when we process a sale. This is resulting in dozens of items with negative qty meaning our customers cant buy this item.

As an example, if an item shows 10 on hand, and we process a POS sale for 3 of this item, rather than show 7 remaining, it shows -4! 

Anyone else with this issue?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
30 0 4

Just tried updating inventory via the Android app and it is very wonky. I put two in inventory, it updates to show we have one...wtf?

Then while doing this I notice an item at -3 when I know I just updated it on Friday to show the 5 we have in stock. 

Haven't noticed this issue before you mentioned it but this is a HUGE problem.

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 4

Which version of the APP were you using? the POS sales app, or the SHOPIFY app? our problem is coming through from POS. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it seems to be working again correctly, but we now have 100s of items to fix...

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
30 0 4

The Shopify app. Not the POS app. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
30 0 4

It just did it Again... I updated from Not Tracking to 5 in stock. Reload, it says -2

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 4

so hard to say if its the app having a problem, or shopify main program. We process sales through our POS app on an ipad and that is how we noticed the problem, but this seems to cross brands of equipment

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
298 0 148

Hey all,

The Mobile team has identified a bug that causes the issue you're seeing. Here's how it works:

• Inventory tracking is turned OFF in your store.
  • You make sales on items during this time.
  • Eventually, you decide to turn inventory tracking ON.
  • The system takes the amount you sold before and subtracts it from what you entered when you started to track. For example, you sold 10 with tracking OFF, and when you turn it ON, you set an inventory of 20. Shopify immediately subtracts the 10 you sold from your new total.

The incorrect inventory can appear on POS, Mobile and the web Admin.

The good news is that this can be easily fixed by just resetting the inventory count for any affected items using the web admin on your desktop or mobile device. Additionally, there’ll be a fix out soon so that the Mobile Admin app will no longer track inventory when Track Inventory is OFF.

If you continue to experience the same issue, please don't hesitate to reach out to Support at 1 (888) 746-7439 or support@shopify.com.

Hope that sheds some insight, thanks so much for bringing it to our attention!

- Alex

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
30 0 4

Is shopify tracking inventory when I don't want it to for data mining purposes?

0 Likes