Possibility of an iphone app?

2 0 1

We don't have a brick & mortar and pretty much use square with our Iphones to take payments on the go. I've already switched my online store to shopify payments and would love to buy your reader and fully switch over but I don't need an ipad. Any chance you'll make an iphone app soon?

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
69 0 8

Hey there Rob! :)

Eli here from Shopify; we're definitely aware of how eagerly our storeowners who already love POS would enjoy the further mobility of iPhone card swipe. We're committed to bringing a solid, well-designed solution for merchants that don't have a brick & mortar retail on all fronts. We're working to bring this experience to our merchants in the right way, but we can't commit to a specific date yet. 

With that said, could you tell me a little more about your business? I'd love to hear how the iPhone would be a huge sell for you, and what about it is a big differentiator from the iPad as it pertains to your business model.

Cheers, 

Eli Cymet Shopify Guru eli@shopify.com
0 Likes
2 0 1

Mainly because all my staff already have iphones. We are a local t-shirt company. We'll go to a festival or concert with a team of people (5 or 6), split up with back packs full of merchandise and our iphones with CC readers. It works fine but I'd be much happier if I could plug YOUR reader in my phone and swipe. I wouldn't have to keep track of two inventories and my online and on the road sales/inventory would be seamlessly integrated. With my business model, I'd have to buy 5 ipads to integrate shopify POS, which I really don't want to do if an iphone app is on the horizon.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
69 0 8

I totally understand where you're coming from on this Rob - I'll relay this info directly to our product team working on Shopify for iPhone to let them know there is continued interest out there, and your story will help contribute to a broader discussion on improving our on-the-go retail offerings :)

Cheers, and don't hesitate to reach out to me further in this thread, as I have marked it to send to my personal e-mail for notifications. 

Eli Cymet Shopify Guru eli@shopify.com
0 Likes
12 0 0

Eli,

An iPhone app would suit my business as well. I attend a lot of local farmer's markets, venues and host events that don't always have wifi so having a pos system tied into my shopify inventory would greatly help my business and allow me to keep track of all my customers even when I'm on the road doing promotional events.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." - Bruce Lee
0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi there,

I have a small business where we sell our stationery goods online as well as at retail shows (e.g., Renegade Craft, street fairs).  Almost every vendor, myself included, primarily relies on their iphones as many of these venues have spotty to no wireless. Furthermore, every vendor has a smart phone -- far fewer have ipads.  While I do have an ipad, I don't have one that is data enabled.  

I was SO excited when I heard Shopify POS was available -- it's always been such a huge pain integrating and updating my inventory (I use Square for payments).  Unfortunately, without an iphone app, numerous online retailers (myself included) will miss out on the opportunity to use the POS this holiday season it seems.

Do you have an ETA on launch date?

In my excitement, I had written a review of how excited I was to test out this system and share it with my community of makers and small business owners (many of whom use shopify as their ecommerce solution) -- until an iphone app is out, I don't see Shopify POS being a must-have for this market.

Thank you!

Yvonne

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
92 0 2

Hi Yvonne,

Thanks so much for explaining your interest in an iPhone solution. Knowing about the continued interest and needs our merchants have for retail solutions are very important to us. While we can't commit to an ETA right now, know that providing solutions for this problem is top-of-mind.

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
1 0 0

I echo the sentiments already out there.  We'd love an iPhone app!  :)

0 Likes
1 0 0

YES! I agree too! I have local customers/friends that want to purchase from me, and I don't have data enabled iPad yet (in the future), iPhone POS app would be beyond amazing!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
92 0 2

Hi everyone.

I'd like to let you know that our latest version of Shopify Mobile is out! You can create orders and take payments directly on it. Using our card reader, you can swipe credit cards, or manually enter them without it. You can also take cash and let the app calculate change. Orders and customers are synced with your store, and inventory is automatically updated on every sale.

We're also giving each shop a free card reader to try it out. Shopify Mobile is free for every Shopify plan. Learn more: http://www.shopify.com/mobile

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes