Quick Telephone Orders or POS on a Mac

Tourist
5 0 2

One of my deciding factors for using Shopify was the promised integration with Checkout POS App. I've now given up on that dream and I'm looking for an alternative solution. Has anyone used an app that will allow quick and easy order entry into the Shopify back office? We use Checkout on Macs and it's really good for quickly entering telephone orders, which are about half of our business. Recently Checkout has been causing a few problems, support is non-existant and we have to keep two inventories and accounts.

I have trawled the Shopify app store and Shopify POS looks like it would fit the bill apart from the high monthly cost and having to use iPads which would be totally impractical for our purposes. If anyone has any ideas, or has set up a similar system I would be very grateful for some suggestions. . thanks 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
960 1 51

Hey Paul!

We currently don't really have the ability to process checkouts without going through the checkout process on Shopify's ecommerce platform or on the POS, which, as you mentioned, has a monthly cost.

I will, however, launch a feature request with our developers to see if a desktop app could be developed in the future. While I can't guarantee that this is on the roadmap, or will be developed any time soon, we're more than happy to pass along suggestions some shop owners may have that would provide greater versatility to the platform.

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

Thanks Matthew. . have you heard of anything that could give me hope that some Checkout integration is on the horizon? Others have suggested that I move to Lightspeed but after investing a lot of time and effort into Shopify I'm hesitant to move.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
232 0 27

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the questions. You can checkout customers at no extra charge using our iPhone app, Shopify Mobile: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/shopify/id371294472?mt=8

This app can be used with an iPod touch or an iPhone. It fully supports manual entry of credit cards so should work very well for phone orders.

I hope this helps,

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
232 0 27

Hi Paul,

I didn't realize you were in the UK. Order creation through Shopify Mobile is not yet supported there (yet).

We just published our order creation API so there will likely be a few options for this coming in the future.

0 Likes