Refunds & Inventory re: Damaged Items

Tourist
12 0 4

We sell merch at events using the Shopify POS system. We are running into an issue regarding inventory when a customer needs to return an item that is defective or damaged.  We can issue a refund, but Shopify puts then that item back into inventory when in actuality we would be marking the damaged item out of stock.

Is there any way to account for this other than manually adjusting the inventory?  Right now we are going old school and just writing these items down on paper to track them, which is not very efficient or useful when it comes to reports.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
20 0 4

Hey There, ktpupp! 

My name is Zack, and I'm a Support Guru here at Shopify. 

I saw this post in our forums and thought I'd point out that you can actually use the POS software to issue a refund without returning the item to the inventory! It's quite easy. When you're setting up the refund, you can "tap" on the item that you do not wish to return to the inventory, and it will de-select the item from the refund.

This is how things should look on a single-item order, if you're not returning the item (this screenshot is from my test store): take.ms/GqevV

Then, tap "Edit" at the bottom right to change how much the refund is for. De-selecting the item from the refund automatically drops the refunded amount to $0.00, so we need to "Edit" it to get it to the right number: take.ms/8flej

It's totally do-able, it just takes making an adjustment to the refund so that the item in question does not get recognized as being "returned" in the refund :)

Give us a shout through our Support Page if you need a hand with anything else! Here's a link to it:

https://docs.shopify.com/support

Kind Regards,
-Zack L

0 Likes