Restaurant scenario, print two receipts. one for kitchen one for customer

1 0 0

I own a small cafe with a kitchen. I need to be able to create a customer order from the POS and send it to a printer in the kitchen. It seems an easy way to accomplish this might be to create a draft order and send it to the kitchen printer. Then when the customer is ready to checkout pull up the draft order, process it and print out the customer receipt at the front counter.

The are a few problems with this scenario...

1. I don't see an option to print draft orders
  2. the POS only supports a single default printer. I would need to manually switch which printer I print to each time...which is tedious.

It seems to me this is a common scenario but I can't seem to find any information on it anywhere. Does anybody have a workaround? Are there any apps in the marketplace to support such a scenario?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
226 20 46

Hi, @Roc_City!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Great question. Based on what you're looking to accomplish, there are a couple of workarounds you could consider. First, you could process POS orders as normal, which would mean that your customers would need to pre-pay for their order. When they pay for their order, a receipt will automatically print. You can then reprint that receipt from the same printer and provide it to your kitchen staff, or you could change the default printer to print it from the kitchen printer. I understand that this may not be the most ideal solution, so I've come up with a couple of other options for you.

Second, you could use an app called Draft Orders for POS. This app will allow you to add draft orders to your POS and sounds a lot like the scenario you suggested. The main difference between this workaround and the one above is that this option means customers won't have to pay at the same time they place their order. Instead, you can pull up the draft order and process the transaction when they're ready to pay. It sounds like receipt printing is available with this app, but I would recommend taking advantage of the free trial or reaching out to the developers directly to see if this is possible. 

A third option is to use an app like UbarTab, which is specifically geared towards bars, restaurants, and cafes who use Shopify POS. With UbarTab, you can create and retrieve carts. This means that the customer can place an order and you will be able to retrieve it when they're ready to settle their bill. This app will sync between multiple devices using the POS app, so your kitchen staff can easily access the open orders within one screen and mark them as complete once their order is ready. The nice thing about using this app is that you won't need to print a receipt for the kitchen at all, which means you can save on a lot of paper. Based on the reviews for this app, it looks like their team offers excellent support; if you're ever needing a hand with this app, you can always find the contact information for the developers directly under the Support section of their app page. 

I highly recommend considering UbarTab, as it sounds like this could significantly improve your workflow, saving you from having to print multiple receipts. It's also a great solution to allowing your customers to pay their tab at the end of their visit. As a side note, did you know that your cafe can collect tips with Shopify POS? If you aren't already taking advantage of this feature, I definitely recommend doing so! 

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes