Scannable Discount Codes

Explorer
50 0 27

The latest iOS update for POS says this in the What’s New: “Hardware barcode scanner can now be used to add discount codes”.  There is no other information on this new feature so I emailed Shopify support.  Here is what they said:

"So since this is a new feature there are some limitation right now while our developers work out some things and to improve it. Currently the discount codes only work if they are numeric only E.g "12345678" and the code has to already exist in the Shopify Admin.

To use this feature you can click on the discount code section and scan the # with the barcode scanner and hit apply. This feature works with both the 1D and 2D barcode scanners."

So I created a percentage off discount code called 12345678 and then used this web site to generate the barcode: https://www.free-barcode-generator.net/code-128/

I printed the barcode to a piece of paper and then was able to scan it when the discount screen was pulled up and Code was selected.  The discount screen then auto closed and the discount was applied to the cart.  That's pretty slick and will allow us to print out one page of discount codes for our clerks to scan.  Although this will require keeping track of what actual promotion corresponds to each discount number so the reports make sense.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
30 0 4

This sounds like it's not quite done yet but promising nonetheless

0 Likes
Tourist
16 0 2

Where did you put the number that you generated? How does the POS know what that code means when you scan it?

0 Likes
Explorer
50 0 27

The number IS the discount code that you enter.  For example 11111113 is a valid barcode 128 format.  You use the barcode by scanning it when you first get into the discount screen on the cart.  The POS will recognize that the barcode you created and scanned correlates to that number.  You just have to know what that discount is to you to make sense of it later.

0 Likes
Excursionist
32 4 10

Can this only been done with barcode scanners and not the iPad camera?

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

How do you get the scanner to come up in the discount screen? I only see a way to select which type of discount and scan it in. 

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 3

Tried this, but can't get it to work Whenever I scan the barcode, it says it's invalid discount code. 

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 3

Figured put what I was doing wrong. I was trying to do a scannable automatic discount. That doesn't work with barcodes. Successfully created a scannable discount barcode that now works :) 

0 Likes
I guess if I just simply learn binary then I'll be able to make sense of the discount codes for reporting purposes AND be able to read the codes on the scannable printout. 😂😂😂
1 year e-commerce, 7 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

@MountainMadness wrote:

The number IS the discount code that you enter.  For example 11111113 is a valid barcode 128 format.  You use the barcode by scanning it when you first get into the discount screen on the cart.  The POS will recognize that the barcode you created and scanned correlates to that number.  You just have to know what that discount is to you to make sense of it later.

Does this still work for you? I can scan the barcode, but it says "Barcode not assigned to a product". I did create a discount with the barcode number as the name, but it seems it's looking for a product and not considering the discounts.

0 Likes