Shipping Items Home

Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi, 

Recently I watched an interesting video where Tobi Lutke - Founder & CEO of Shopify spoke on the future of retail; and I couldn't agree more. We have been in the experiential retail business since 1988. We are presently migrating from another platform and are looking forward to launching our our Ecommerce site and POS. 

During Tobi, talk he spoke of how customers will or should be able to walk into a store and ask for items to be shipped to their home or the home of a gift recepient. We have been exactly this for over 20 years. 

There seems to be a disconnect between what Tobi speaks of and what the POS delivers. 

My understanding is that at present, we will be unable to print the address of the sold to and the ship to on the POS receipt. (This is a big one, it gives the client piece of mind when the paper in their hand states where the parcel is being shipped to)

Our work around will to switch from POS mode to web without the customer really knowing the difference but this brings up questions for us. 

Am I able to use the scanner on the barcoded merchandise even though the sale is being recorded as a web orders? 

I will have to have enter their credit card information as if online, versus swiping the magnetic strip.

Balancing the daily cash will be a bit of a pain. 

Is there any discussion of enhancing the information options allowed on the receipts? 

Do you have any suggestions as to the best way to send the customer home with a receipt stating where it is being sent to versus our work around? 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
232 0 27

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the questions, currently the following customer communication is possible regarding shipping addresses:

• A confirmation email (with tracking number) can be sent to the customer on item fulfillment
  • Our email receipt if fully customizable, hence, you can add order shipping info to the receipt. This can be emailed to the customer upon purchase.

From what I understand you would like this information to also be available on the printed receipt. This is great feedback. We are exploring ways to make our printed receipt more customizable in the future. I think this would allow you accomplish exactly what you need. In the meantime, perhaps the email receipt can provide your customers with the closure they need. 

Am I able to use the scanner on the barcoded merchandise even though the sale is being recorded as a web orders? 

The barcode scanner will only allow you to add products to your Shopify POS cart. 

I hope this helps,

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Thank you Andrew. 

0 Likes