Shopify POS - Card reader hardware for Malaysia / Singapore

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
43 0 6

A friend of mine has a Shopify store in Malaysia.  They are doing trade shows in various countries and would like to get Shopify POS set up to use at these events.  So, a couple of questions:

1. What kind of card reader / receipt printer hardware is compatible with Shopify POS (the hardware from Shopify isn't available in their region) - it mentions on the website

Use your own credit or debit terminal

Track credit or debit card payments made using the external card terminal you already own.

2. If the store is based in Malaysia, can the Shopify POS (and the card reader hardware etc) be used outside of Malaysia?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
617 31 70

Hi there @VWD!

Don here from Shopify. :)

As you would be selling in a region where we don't have card readers available you would be able to use any compatible external card reader provided by a third-party company as long as you enter any such sales as being paid by external debit/credit. 

You can learn how to process payments via external debit/credit here on our help site.

As you would be using an external processor for this, you would just need to check in with them as to how their payments will work outside of your country of origin.

For the Shopify POS app itself, you will be able to use this app outside of the country where your store is based.

Spend some time looking into how external payments work with the POS, check to see who offers such a service in your area and look into getting set up with some payments hardware from them.

Best of luck for these events!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
43 0 6

Hi Don,

Thank you very much for your reply.

So what you're saying is that since they are in a region without Shopify POS hardware (ie card reader), they will have to use an external credit card reader and payment processor.  

In regions where Shopify POS hardware is available, when payments are processed I'm assuming it goes through Shopify?  Ie the Card Purchases are processed through Shopify without needed an external card payment processor?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
617 31 70

Hi again @VWD!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

As per that guide to POS payments, it would be possible to use Shopify Payments where available or an approved third-party provider in the USA or Canada to process payments directly.

Outside of this availability, it would need to be an external provider and the payment would need to be processed as external credit/debit.

Read through the guide above in depth as it will cover the various scenarios you might face when using the POS and different payment methods.

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
43 0 6

Thanks very much for confirming that @Don.  What about Australia?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
617 31 70

Hi again @VWD!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

Apologies for my delay in getting back to you here.

Merchants in Australia can definitely use our POS, however, Shopify Payments Australia doesn't support in-person payments.

As such you wouldn't see the option to manually charge in the POS and would need to source an external terminal.

You can learn more about external card readers here and where you can source them in Australia.

It would also be necessary to source compatible POS hardware there in addition to the external card reader.

Check out all that info and think about how you might use this for your business moving forward.

Regards,

Don

0 Likes