Shopify POS Quick Sale Typing

Tourist
3 0 2

Hello,

We just moved over to using Shopify POS in our brick and mortar store in order to link our inventory in store with our online inventory. It is definitely better then our previous cash register (which was just that, a cash register), but I was wondering, for the Quick Sale option for quickly making a custom item, is there a way to give the quick sale item a product type. This would be very useful for when we do reporting, since then the quick sale items would be able to be accounted for in the correct categories, especially since we do repair work in our store and there is no way to currently do variably priced items in the POS, which was our only major gripe with the POS.

So, is it possible to give a product type to a Quick Sale Item?

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
120 0 16

Hey David! 

Dave here from  the Guru Team :) 

This is currently not a feature when creating a Quick Sale Item or when creating a product in the POS directly. This is certainly something that I can see would be of benefit! What I'm going to do is add a feature request with our Developers to get this brought into the Platform in the future :) 

Cheers, 

Dave :) 

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

Is this option in the works, I own a candy store and we sell a lot in bulk and we would need this option for us to beable to use your pos app. 

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi, This is David B again and I own the music store.  I think the ideal solution here would be to have both the ability to add a product type in Quick Sales, but also, and perhaps more importantly, to be able to add an item for sale that has no stated price, or that has a price that you can vary up or down when the final sale is made.  For example, I think the gentleman with the candy store wants to be able to have an item called "jelly beans" but then type in the final price at the last minute after the customer's candy is weighed.  Similarly, we do instrument repairs but do not know in advance what their price will be.  I want to be able to have an item called "repair" (preset as a non-tax item because it is a service) that I can insert the price in as I am ringing it up.  I could do that with a "quick sale" but then I have to manually remove the tax each time and under the current system it wouldn't have a "product type" so I would not be able to get a report later showing how much repair business I have done.  Most cash registers have "departments" that are set as either tax or non tax and they allow you to type in the price as you go, and they issue department reports, so with my old machine, i could haver a guitar dept. and a string dept. and a repair dept etc., each preset to charge tax or not as required and with the push of a button, I would get a printout of how much sales I had in each department.  I'm sorry for writing such a long comment, but I wanted to be thourough.  Basically, if Shopify could emulate some of these cash register abilities on the in-store side, it would be very useful to many retailers. 

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

yes that is exactly what I need. 

0 Likes
7 0 0

We’re currently trialling Shopify. 

Generally seems to provide a cost effective solution but we’re starting to find ‘issues’. 

What concerns me is these issues have been previously raised, with promises to forward to the development teams. 

Yet literally years later, there appears to be no further development. 

One of our key concerns is not being able to specify a product type on quick orders in the POS. Our other major issue was also referenced in this post - being able to amend a product price at the POS. 

Does Shopify get feature development on a realistic time scale?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
90 2 10

We have been evaluating Shopify POS, since we already have been using Shopify's e-com platform. And are hoping for a true omni-channel solution for our luxury jewelry retail business. What I've found is most of the functionality gaps we've encountered can be alleviated through utilizing the API and plugging in third-party apps. While this takes some work and introduces some expense, it's been palatable thus far.

One handy app we plugged in is called Admin+. It allows us to define a dummy stock item for each of our oddball transaction sets. For example, special ordering an item we haven't stocked before, or initiating a new repair job. Once the salesperson adds that dummy SKU to the cart, then an Admin+ template allows additional attributes to be captured to better define the item. That in turn allows reporting out and actioning on the item accordingly. Most of that backoffice side of the house involves utilizing API-driven reporting and exporting the data into our internal inventory and repair platform. It's not a perfect solution but is workable. 

1 Like
7 0 0

Thanks for reply. Will take a look.

0 Likes
Not that I know your business. But in that situation you shouldn't be using quick sale. Don't you want to be able to track the sales on your bulk candies? If I owned a candy store and sold bulk, I assume odd do something like this:

Product title:
Candy XYZ

Variant title:
Weight
Variant names:
50G,
100G,
150G,
200G, etc etc

Then when you weigh your bag, round up or down to the nearest measurement and ring it in. Then you can still track your sales using the analytics.
1 year e-commerce, 7 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
0 Likes