Shopify POS and Gateways

Shopify Partner
133 0 7

So I've worked with several clients using Shopify & Shopify POS and have been getting mixed answers from Shopify customer service.

Is the Shopify POS only compatible with Stripe? I have been told it will also work with gateways such as Authorize.net by Shopify customer service. But a few of my clients have also been told it will only work with Shopify Payments (aka stripe). I have created a test account myself which did allow me to plug in a gateway.

Can I get some clarification here.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
2 0 0

Currently you must use Shopify Payments to be able to process credit cards (swiped or manual) on Shopify POS.

0 Likes
43 0 0

When I can use my current gateway, I will add Shopify POS to my setup. 

Until then I have better rates and don't want the headache from managing multiple gateways. 

Please open this up. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
336 0 26

The topic is a bit confusing so let me try to clarify:

If you want to swipe a credit card using our card reader, then you need to use Shopify Payments.  If swiping the card doesn't work, you can also manually enter the credit card number.

That said, if you would prefer to use an external credit card or debit terminal, then you can set up Shopify POS so that it is aware of that.  So Shopify POS doesn't require you to use Shopify Payments if you don't want to swipe credit cards using our card reader.

In terms of different gateways, when you use our card reader we get the magnetic strip data, so we can get you a much lower transaction rate.  Shopify Payments rates when you swipe a credit card are from 2.7% to 2.15% with no additional charge for AMEX, International cards, etc.  Other gateways like Authorize.net can't accept magnetic strip data from us so your rates would be significantly higher for swiped credit cards.

Hope this clears things up a bit,

Craig

0 Likes