Shopify POS with computer instead of ipad/iphone

8 0 0

We are going to change the existed POS system in a retail boutique store to Shopify POS system. As the store already has everything setup including a computer, card swiper, barcode reader and receipt printer, so I would rather reuse their hardware instead of doing more purchases. I don't know if anyone has successfully implemmented Shopify POS with computer instead of ipad/iphone?

Thanks,

Jason  

Check out our unique fashion online boutique store!
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
60 0 5

Hello Jason,

I completely understand your situation and need to make the transition as smooth as possible. 

Currently our POS app will integrate on iPhone, iPad and we recently added POS for Android. We are always expanding our POS capabilities with new features rolling out regularly, however currently there is no implementation for desktop.

Your other hardware however, card swiper, barcode reader and receipt printer could possibly work in tandem with our retail package. Have a look over this document to see if your hardware is listed: 

https://docs.shopify.com/pos/retail-package/buying-hardware/model-number-quickref

Please feel free to reach out to our live support team with any questions. https://docs.shopify.com/support

-Jen

0 Likes
24 0 0

Hi Jen,

Didn't you guys just release orders from a computer? From the dashboard? The only think is it doesn't work with a card swiper or anything like that, you just have to take the order manually on the Shopify Dashboard.

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/64fb97d2/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
0 Likes
2 0 0

Can we use shopify POS in windows desktop on browser?

0 Likes

No there is no availability for POS on a computer. Only tablets and phones unfortunately. But this means Chromebooks are fair game :)

1 year e-commerce, 7 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 0

The Shopify POS is really just a transaction register. Nearly all modern pos systems have fully baked inventory management systems incorporated into them. Shopify is strictly just "Point Of Sale"....you ring people up from it and thats about it.  The only inventory management is has is based on the ecommerce. If you arent operating a Shopify ecommerce then the Shopify POS is nearly useless. If you are operating a Shopify website then the POS is helpful to ring people up but to run a real story you need more inventory control....Stocky might be useful I havent used it. But yes, at that point it ends up a little pieced together and not as cohesive as one software that does it all.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Thank you for your reply. I am started new business which is in store,
online and mobile app. Omni channel service. Will it really good to use
Shopify for all these.

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 0
Yes, but you need more inventory control if your having a retail location with actual inventory. You will have to track your cost of good sold for accounting purposes. This is where other software comes into play because it captures all of your costs, has modules for purchase orders, etc.

Shopify and its outlets are a excellent sales tool....but it doesnt do everything when it comes to the necessities to run a full retail store business. Especially if your going to have a lot of inventory turnover where you have new products every season, etc...you need more robust inventory management and accounting than just the ecom, pos.

If you just have the same products all year only not too many of them, then you can probably get by without inventory control and just keep up with inventory items and thier costs in Quickbooks Online. We have too many items to put into QBO (with variants its 8k-10k sku's per year) so need a inventory control software to keep up with all that then just make a journal entry in QB.
0 Likes