Shopify mobile app - Barcode scanner doesn't work (UK)

Shopify Partner
12 0 3

Hello,

Using the Shopify app for Android (on S10), if I go to a product > Inventory > Click the scan barcode button - I try to scan a barcode, any barcode and it simply does not work.

Expected result: immediately recognise a barcode and place the number into "Barcode (ISBN, UPC, etc)" field.

Actual result: the scanner opens but no barcode is successfully detected/registered upon being presented with a barcode.

I am based in the UK and scanning UK products e.g. packet of polo mints, my own product, alcohol sanitiser (don't read into it - just what I had to hand) - none of them work.  Scanning a barcode is a terribly simple task to carry out so not sure where the problem is. 

In addition, I tried cleaning my camera lens.  I tried pressing the screen to manually trigger/attempt to better focus. I tried slowly panning out.  

I'm confused why can I not scan a barcode with the Shopify app?  Is there a trick?

Thanks,

Dan.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
155 14 16

Hey there, @danabdn!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with scanning your barcodes, but I'd be happy to offer some clarification and see if I can assist with getting this sorted.

I wasn't able to replicate the steps you mentioned on my end here (product > inventory > click scan barcode button), so first I'd like to confirm whether you're trying to do this on the Shopify App or the Shopify POS app. Barcode scanning cannot be done on the Shopify App, as it's specifically a Point of Sale feature. If it is the POS app you're using, you'll want to ensure that you've granted the POS app access to your device's camera.

Are the barcodes you're scanning barcodes that you've created and printed out through the Retail Barcode Labels app? The only barcodes that will register through your POS app are ones that have already been associated to your uploaded products. You can learn more about creating barcodes here.

It sounds like you might be trying to update your inventory information through scanning, is that right? You can't scan in inventory with Shopify POS. The barcode scanner is for built for quickly adding products to the cart before checkout when selling in person. If you're looking for a solution to update inventory levels through scanning, you might be interested in the third party app Quick Scan. This app allows you to scan in each physical product to add to your existing stock levels.

I hope this helps answer your question! If there's anything I can clarify, please let me know.

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes