*Still* a major bug

Excursionist
39 0 30

Guys, there is a still a major bug on the POS.

Scenario:

• Person put item on layby, item is removed from inventory and appears on persons account as partially_paid.
  • Person does not proceed with sale, so cashier refunds the original sale
  • The item goes back to inventory (correct) but the sale remains on the customers account as partially_paid
  • So now as far as our reports look that person owes us the amount for the item they never bought!

this is a serious issue which I raised a number of times before but is still to be addressed? Please acknowlegde this issue..

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi Ruby,

I'm considering Shopify POS for 7 stores and things like this with zero feedback are big red flags.

Thanks for posting!

0 Likes
Excursionist
39 0 30

HI Chris, I've raised this is an issue 6 months ago with Shopify and I still have not got a reply - so i raised again. I don't know why its been ignored. The major problem with Shopify POS is that it is built on top of a database structure meant for online not bricks and mortar. When you look at the reponses that the API returns you can see this clearly and you can see why issues like this occur and why they seem powerless to adddress them.

It has great potential but any progress is so slow it is so frustrating for customers like us. A little bit more feedback and assurance from the Shopify side woul make a big difference but for some reason this isn't happening.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
92 0 2

Hi there,

You're right that Shopify started as an ecommerce-only product. But as you've seen with our progressive updates on the retail side, we're working to make Shopify a place to conduct commerce, which means big changes to the assumptions made so many years ago. Please understand we're working on this, but it's a significant change that we must do correctly.

There's a disconnect between the real status of your order, and the state Shopify is reflecting on the order. We're making improvements to this business logic, allowing for an unpaid order to be restocked and considered voided, as no money or products have changed hands, it isn't a sale-able order from that customer anymore.

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Excursionist
39 0 30

Hi Carson,

firstly thanks for the informative reply. I think it is important that you guys in Shopify know that a quick and honest response to items raised here will make people feel 100% better about using your products. Already I feel much better that you are now acknowledging the issue and I am confident a fix will be applied soon which makes me 

1- Happy to keep using the system

2- Willing to work around the issue for now, knowing a solution is forthcoming.

There are other issues which I have noticed which I haven't bothered raising due to the silence from Shopify prior to this. But we are the people using your product at the 'coal face' and therefore we know the real world issues, so you should be encouraging us to engage actively with you.

May I suggest that on this item that you consider a new status for layby, which allows us to properly track which customers have items on layby/deposit without any financial transaction

Cyril.

0 Likes
Excursionist
39 0 30

So that was 3 months ago and we still haven't seen any sign of an update much less a fix. To me this is a critical issue but shopify doesn't seem to think so. As a company we have all but given up on Shopify now and are actively looking for a replacement. Such a pity, a bit of communication might have resolved this. I would advise any potential customers seeing this post to avoid shopify POS at this stage since the support is practically non-existent, and trying to get anything fixed or even explained is beyond frustration.

1 Like
6 0 0

I've been considering Shopify POS because it looks so awesome on the surface.  I have been following this forum closely as I usually do before I commit to something this important.  All the feedback here has help me determine that I need to hold off.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
53 0 15

Ruby - I agree with all of what you say.  As you can see from the topic in this forum "Comprehensive list of POS Issues" your point directly ties into the refund and exchange handling.  There appears to be strong push within Shopify to resolve based on my person to person discussions with Shopify in the last two weeks but at the end the day it is about delivery.  The platform has remarkable promise but several material business/accounting assumptions made are simply wrong.  They are contemplating an IPO so maybe that gets the ball rolling faster.  Lets stay active on these boards and update everyone as and when there is any direct talk with Shopify.  Transparency is important for all.  Any reasonable investment bank would be doing levels of due diligence on the company run forums like this to see how the roll out of the POS is progressing.  Credible consistent commentary from users like us should get notice and hence resolved.  

1 Like