Tap & Chip Reader keeps unpairing

Explorer
50 0 27

We have had the newest tap & chip card reader at our POS for about a month.  From day one, we have had issues with the reader un-pairing necessitating going through a complete re-pairing process.  We also have the dock so when this happens we have to dismantle the dock to pull the reader out in order to get to the power button (who designed this thing anyway?)  We have gone through everything and it's not a matter of bluetooth being disconnected - the device itself is messed up and will no longer connect with the iPad even though bluetooth is enabled and all other bluetooth devices are having no issues.  Lately this is happening to us at least twice a day and causes serious issues for our clerks when there is a line of customers.  We just bought a new iPad (gen 6) to replace the older iPad we were using for the POS, but are having the exact same issues with the reader.  And, yes, we are running the latest version of iOS and the Shopify POS app at all times.

2 Likes
1 0 0

We are having the same issue..  We too have the holder and have to remove the dumb thing to turn it off and reconnect it.

0 Likes
4 0 0

This same issue keeps happening to our store - it's incredibly frustrating and Shopify does not appear to have any desire to fix the issue.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
50 0 27

@BWTC wrote:

This same issue keeps happening to our store - it's incredibly frustrating and Shopify does not appear to have any desire to fix the issue.

I have been going back and forth with Shopify support on this issue and they were ready to send me a replacement.  But then they messaged me Friday to make sure of two things: 1) That we were updated to the Shopify app version 5.33.1 last week which included a hotfix specifically for bluetooth issues with the tap and chip reader and, 2) That the iPad is on the recently released iOS version 12.4 which apparently also had some bluetooth fixes in it.  We updated iOS last Friday (the Shopify app had auto-updated the day before) and went the weekend without the issue occurring one time whereas before it would happen at least twice per day.  So I'm hopefully optimistic that this issue is now permanently fixed.

1 Like
4 0 0

Thanks so much for response. 

By the way, it was a serendipitous response.  I just sent you a wholesale inquiry.

0 Likes

Thanks for the update. I'm currently experiencing the same thing but we are fully updated and still having disconnect issues. I sent an email to them today hoping they will get back to me with a solution soon!

0 Likes
Explorer
50 0 27

@BWTC wrote:

Thanks so much for response. 

By the way, it was a serendipitous response.  I just sent you a wholesale inquiry.

Thanks for the inquiry.  I got you entered into our system but Shopify admin is having issues sending account activation emails so I will send it out when they get it fixed.

0 Likes
2 0 0

Same here... we have update everything plus are using  a brand new iPad pro.... still happening :/

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

The tap/chip reader has been funky from day one. Even their first revision was somewhat funky as well with connectivity.

We have much better luck with the chip/swipe reader and tend to use this most of the time unless someone asks for Apple/Android Pay (and these requests will continue to grow). Not sure if using the chip/swip is an option for you but thought I would note that we find that style to be much more robust....its the white one with a little base

1 Like
Explorer
50 0 27

We have several of those white chip and swipe readers that we use for mobile events.  They had some issues initially but have been stable since they worked that out with updates.  We use the tap and chip reader only in our brick & mortar since it is a friendlier customer facing device and can accept Apple and Android pay. 

For what it's worth, ever since the latest updates to both iOS and the Shopify POS app, our tap and ship reader has not disconnected one single time in the last 2 weeks.  Before it was happening at least twice per day.

0 Likes