Tap & Chip Reader keeps unpairing

4 0 0
We continue to have the same issue with Bluetooth connection dropping about daily with customers standing in checkout line.

We have 2 new iPads paired to 2 new tap / chip readers. Shopify support just sent 2 brand new tap / chip readers to test again and they do the same thing.

The recent updates made the pairing process faster but Bluetooth still drops. This is really, really frustrating when customers are waiting. Why can’t we buy the old tap / chip / swipe readers ? Those did not have the connection drop issue.
0 Likes
Explorer
48 0 22

After having had no disconnects for the last couple weeks since the updates, our clerks reported that they experienced disconnects once or twice per day for the last several days.

0 Likes

This is getting really frustrating. Shopify support is only giving us the runaround. For the past 3 weeks, over a 20 email thread and multiple support members, Shopify has not given any solutions or wants to send us a replacement. 

The only thing that maybe helpful in that 20 ongoing email thread with them is that they mentioned a "sleep mode". This did not fix our issue but might be helpful to someone else so I will post it here. 

"Sleep mode" activates automatically after 1 hour passes without any activity being detected on the reader. If the reader is in "Sleep mode", you can simply press and release the power button to wake the card reader up again. By holding the power button for 4 seconds or more will reset any Bluetooth pairing it may have had and would need to be paired again.

I'll keep ya'll posted if they suggest other useful fixes....

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

Shopify will always act as if your problem is not something they routinely see. That's they way they operate. We see readers disconect as well. Sometimes we have to go as far as deleting them from the store and then adding them back again. The readers are definitely temperamental and the staff at Shopify who creates the POS retail kit does not appear to be developing products for the proper use cases. I would definitely take the time to share your experience via facebook and instagram where they often market the retail kit.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
97 2 12

FWIW, we have one of our companies using Lightspeed Retail. Similar setup, iPads, Bluetooth barcode scanners, Bluetooth receipt printers, but with Ethernet-connected payment terminals. Our operators report disconnects with the Bluetooth equipment on a daily basis. Power cycling them and repairing always is the fix. Inconvenient when a customer is standing there (with a potential line behind them) but it works.

The Shopify POS retail kit is aesthetically pleasing. Sturdy, can bolt into the countertop, and clean. But the Bluetooth payment terminal was poorly designed and engineered from a usability standpoint. If power-cycling the device requires the front plate be removed, then that's another inconvenience when a customer is sitting there waiting to be rung up. We are testing out Shopify POS with this new black retail kit. And have run into many of the issues echoed on this thread. I think frankly it's the nature of the beast. Bluetooth devices can go to sleep, can lose their connection pairing, and can't remain powered on persistently 24x7 and maintain proper connectivity.

If we are going to implement Shopify POS for our other company I am going to recommend we power off all devices at store closing and power them all back on for store opening. And that any Shopify POS or iOS updates be thoroughly tested on a retail kit before upgrading our production devices. There are too many cases where either an update fixes or an update breaks the wireless connectivity between the iPad and the devices.

0 Likes
4 0 0

Shopify support sent 2 brand new tap / chip readers and they are doing the exact same thing.  The tap / chip readers disconnect after about 24 hours of use - every day they disconnect.  

We are implementing a policy to restart them every morning, but a very frustrating device.  I just want to buy the old device with the tap / chip / swipe - those were working fine.

Really disappointed with Shopify acting like no one else is seeing this issue.

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

I originally contacted support a month or so ago because they released a version of the POS App which resulted in customers being double charged. It took them a couple weeks to fix and there was zero compensation or really even an apology.

Now Shopify has admitted that this newest release, the one they made to fix this previous bug, has it's own issues causing bluetooth devices to unpair.

Bluetooth technology is not new. It's a robust standard that has been around for a long time. Shopify's inability to work with it consistently is shocking.

0 Likes
3 0 0

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be an issue Shopify can resolve.  We have dealt with this issue on the older white style dip/swipe readers for several years, with several different readers. After being convinced by the sales staff at Shopify that this is no longer an issue, we moved our entire POS system over to Shopify for our retail store and yet, problem still persists. 

It would be awesome if a rep would chime in here and provide us with some insight. Yes, everything is up to date. We want to believe in this, but Clover is sounding better by the day and after being closed for three days to perform an intensive inventory, switching over will be a snap.

0 Likes
7 0 0

Same problem here. It is a serious pain and takes forever to reconnect. Usually I just have to do a manual card entry which costs a higher rate. I really don't understand why these card readers have to be bluetooth. I would much prefer a plugged in reader that worked all the time. Besides, this thing is already plugged in to power, so it's not exactly wireless.

0 Likes
3 0 0

Question Andrew,

Was your reader plugged in? In working on a solution for our most recent issue we discovered the USB charging cable for the tap/chip reader had worked itself out just enough to keep the reader from charging. Didnt notice this until the warning for low battery popped up. 

This said, after charging up our current reader has not dropped again. This was a consistent issue with the older dip/swipe reader we use for on-site/expo sales. Interesting that thru troubleshooting with Shopify this was not brought up. Then again, our history with it dropping if not constantly plugged in should have tripped our own radar to investigate it further. 

SummitApparel

0 Likes