Total Sales Report Problem

Excursionist
22 0 9

Just discovered another problem:  the Orders - Total Sales report is now excluding sales that have had a partial refund made on them (had to do a lot of math and check out all my sales individually to figure this one out). 

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
111 0 7

Hi John,

Can you let me know the specific report you're looking at? Unless you cancel those partially refunded orders, the total order price should still be accounted for the Orders reports. The only exception is by default, the Sales by Month report is filtered on 'paid'. If you clear that filter, you should see partially refunded orders are indicated with Total Sales.

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 9

Hi Aaron,

Yes, I was using the Sales by Month report, and I hadn't noticed that "paid" filter. I turned it off, and the partially refunded sales do show up now, but they show up in their entirety, with no notice of the partially refunded amount. And, like many things Shopify so far, I really don't understand that "paid" filter - if it's on, your report doesn't show the portion of a partially refunded sale that was paid for; if it's off, the report doesn't show the portion that was refunded. In neither case do I actually get to see what I want: how much money was I actually paid. To say nothing of figuring out how much sales tax I actually took in ...

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
111 0 7

Hi John,

Currently Reports mirrors how the orders page would show partially paid/refunded orders (you still see the total order price). We're looking into adding another measure onto the orders report that would show the actual net transaction amount as well, so that you can get the amount you're asking for.

In the meantime, the following reports might be useful for you:

Payments – Payment Method will show you the net paid and refunded transaction amounts for a given time period

Taxes - Rate report will give you your actual collected taxes

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 9

Hey Aaron,

Obviously, I'm aware of those other reports - and the Payment Method report is, amazingly, the only place where one might discover the amount of any returns/refunds that were made. Even then you need to know, counterintuitively, that the last column doesn't include the refund listed in the previous column and then you need to do the math yourself to discover the total amount you were actually paid. Let me say that again: On the Payment Report, I have to pull out a pencil and do my own math to figure out how much I was paid. The other problem is that what a shopkeeper really wants to do here is compare the sales report with the payment report and make sure they match -- to me, this is not only rudimentary POS, but the two most important functions of POS: 1. How much did I sell today? 2. How did I get paid for it? At the end of the day, if these numbers don't match, you need to go figure out why. 

Now, let's talk about that Sales Tax Report. Have you looked at it? On my system, the Sales Tax Report is doing the exact same thing as the Total Sales Report -- it's only showing the tax collected on what Shopify considers as "paid" transactions, and as a result, it's not including any sales tax collected on the partially refunded sale. And now that I know about it, I looked around for someplace I could switch that "paid" filter off, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. I imagine you'd suggest I go back to the Total Sales Report, but there the problem is still the same: with the paid filter on, you don't see any of the sales tax collected on the partially refunded sale; if you turn the paid filter off, you see the sales tax collected on the entire sale, even the tax from the refunded item. There is not a number in any report that accurately reflects the sales tax for that day. The only thing you can do at this point is go back to the original order, make sure the refunded item wasn't tax exempt, and then do the math to figure out how much of that refunded total was sales tax. And then subtract that from the total shown in the Total Sales Report after you click off the "paid" filter. Yep.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
111 0 7

Hi John,

I definitely understand that it takes a bit of work right now to get the some of the numbers you need. The handling of partially paid/refunded orders is something we're currently working to improve. It's something we've heard minimal feedback on, as not many shops have a large amount of partial orders that need reconciliation in this way.

I will be sure to reach out to you once we have an update for reports. In the meantime, everything you are looking for is certainly doable using both reports and individual orders. If you get stuck trying to get numbers you are needing, please feel free to reach out to me and I can help out.

We appreciate the feedback,

Aaron

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 3

This would be very useful actually. For my business lots of people leave deposits for lay away or special orders, so I create the sale with the full price but I ring it up as partially paid amount. On the reports it shows the Total amount of sales not total collected and it gets very confusing sometimes. Lets say I sell $1000 worth of merchandise but only collect $400 (deposits). In the report it would show up as $1000. Any way to get a report that shows the net amount that was collected on that day including any refunds that were done on that day. 

1 Like