URGENT: Printer stopped working with POS 5.35.0 update

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
150 2 49

Hi there,

We have two iPads connecting to a Star TSP143IIILANL printer via wifi. Since an update (5.31 I think) one iPad has had a sketchy printer connection but after updating to 5.35.0 won’t print at all.

I’ve tried multiple resets/restarts or the wifi, printer and iPad but no joy - how do we fix this issue?

iPad 6,7 (doesn’t print)

- iOS 12.2

- POS 5.35.0

iPad 4,1 (always prints)

- iOS 12.1.1

- POS 5.30.0

Printer

- Star TSP143IIILANL

We’re starting the biggest home show of the year today so desperately need help sorting this.

Cheers

Ben

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
150 2 49

We’re dying a slow death out here, any help would be awesome!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
103 2 12

Did you get this resolved? Checking our test iPad, I see that it's running iOS 12.4.1, and Shopify POS 5.35.0. Getting ready to test printing to our Star TSP143III printer in a moment. It just printed receipts fine.

It is annoying how that either updates or being behind an update can affect hardware connectivity. Haven't seen this in any of our other apps we use in production or in testing...just Shopify POS in conjunction with Apple iOS.

0 Likes
3 0 0

Our POS system has also been broken with the exact same problem. Both of our terminals and printers have stopped working as of yesterday AM. We have tried resetting everything and they still wont work. PLEASE HELP SHOPIFY

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
103 2 12

...and you've gone into the App Store to ensure that Shopify POS is at the latest version? And also ensured that your iOS is at the latest version? If you've done both of those things and reset the hardware then you definitely have an issue!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
150 2 49

The iPad which as the latest everything does not work. The other iPad which isn't (POS 5.30.0) works flawlessly. Multiple resets on iPad, printer and router - no Joy.

We're starting day two of the biggest home show of the year and we're a terminal down. Not being able to print may seem minor but customers are impatient.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
103 2 12

That is a big deal. We have an large annual vendor trunk show that's more than huge in terms of queued customers and ringing sales. No receipts would indeed be a big deal! I guess a fallback is e-mailing the customers their copy of the sales receipt. But we too prefer to hand out hard copies and keep a copy for balancing the daily cash as well.

In a pinch I hope there is some form of call-in or chat support available. We don't use Shopify POS in production yet, although we implemented Lightspeed Retail for one of our companies. They have some support options, albeit not the most expeditious at times...

0 Likes
3 0 0

Yes, our ipads are at the newest OS and newest version of Shopify POS. I called tech support and they mentioned they knew about the problem with the software but have no timeline on fixing it. They also like to hide behind their terms of service claiming this isn't a big deal and that companies should just accept this hiccup.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
150 2 49

A new 5.36.0 update is available, here's how I got our second terminal working:

- Upgrade the Shopify POS app from the App store

- Shut down the router, printer and iPad

- Wait 1min

- Start the router, wait until the full boot sequence had finished

- Turn on the printer, wait 1min

- Turn on iPad

- Check iPad is connected to router

- Launch Shopify POS

- Go: Store > Hardware and wait for printer to get connected

- Print a test receipt

Hope that helps someone, I did NOT update the iPad to 12.4.1 which is a new update (just released where I am) incase that breaks stuff - don't want to tempt fate!

Cheers

ben

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
25 0 4

@cmscss 

Tried your solution. Nothing. Shopify are bringing Video and 3D support, but they can't fix this. Priorities?

1 Like