URGENT: Printer stopped working with POS 5.35.0 update

Solved
Shopify Partner
150 2 48

And have just setup for another pop-up sale and POS no longer prints - same iPad, same iOS version, same Shopify POS version, same router, same printer - literally nothing has changed (all auto-updates are off). Bummer.

iPad 6,7 (doesn’t print)

- iOS 12.2

- POS 5.36.0

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
150 2 48

Are there any updates for is? Our working iPad was unintentionally updated so now we worry we’ll no longer be able to print from any iPads.

We’re setting up Thursday so will reset network connections, delete the POS apps and reinstall and hope - unless anyone has worked out how to fix this.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
97 2 12

What I would expect or at least hope for would be that any new Shopify POS releases are tested internally by Shopify before deployment. Against the latest iOS version. I would imagine that device connectivity quirks would become apparent, right? And along the same lines, if there is an iOS update released by Apple then internally Shopify should test things out. If any device connectivity quirks rear their ugly head then an advisory message should be distributed to the customer base. 

These measures of proactivity could prevent customer confusion, scores of tech support calls/e-mails, etc. Be better for both sides really. Maybe all of this is being done and I'm just out of the loop perhaps...

1 Like
Shopify Partner
150 2 48

I have a horrible feeling that because POS is now included free with Shopify, they take a lump it or leave it attitude.

We certainly haven't received any help or even acknowledgement of the issue.

0 Likes
3 0 0
I was told by tech support that they knew of the issue but had no timeline
on a fix. Shopify has pretty terrible customer service considering what
customers pay for the service on an ongoing basis. They also hide behind
their terms of service and think that a large interruption like this to a
business is no big deal.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
97 2 12

What's a shame is that connectivity alternatives aren't available. For example, the Star TSP100 series receipt printers have a LAN-based option. If they are hardwired on the same private WiFi LAN as the iPads then that's a better connection type. Another example would be the payment terminals. Rather than flaky, inconsistent Bluetooth there are hardwired Ethernet payment terminals. We use Vantiv terminals of this type with Lightspeed Retail and have zero connectivity issues.

These devices are all available, but Shopify POS would need to be modified in order to be able to connect to them.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
150 2 48

We use the ethernet version of the printer and connect via a router and for a full year it's worked great. I don't understand why its taking so long to fix, it's critical! There's literally no point in continuing development of new features if you can't print a receipt which most customers want.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
25 0 4

In total agreement with @Greg_Kujawa @cmscss and @Figured12 .

I think it reasonable to expect Shopify to come out with a statement "We are aware of an issue printing from the Shopify POS app on iOS to Star Micronics TSP100 printers. We are working on a solution however are unable to say when this issue will be resolved."

But they haven't.

They don't even acknowledge forum threads like this one.

Switching to Square, at least for point of sale, is an option as their iOS app continues to work with our TSP100. And it's free too!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
150 2 48

After testing, the following POS/iOS combinations work/don't work.

DOES PRINT:
- iOS 12.1.4
- POS 5.36.0

DOES NOT PRINT:
- iOS 12.2
- POS 5.36.0

Obviously something in the iOS 12.2 update breaks printing.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
97 2 12

I have had my test Shopify POS setup sitting idle for a few days and just successfully reprinted an order receipt. iOS version 12.4.1 (which shows as the latest version), Shopify POS 5.36.0 (likewise shows as the latest version), and a Bluetooth Star TSP100III receipt printer.

What will become a bogey is when older iPad models won't accept newer iOS major version upgrades. They will then potentially fall out of compatibility depending on what Shopify POS is putting out there for their updates.

On a side note, for us we plan on having a test environment, so that we can validate functionality after Shopify POS and/or iOS updates. If they fail in testing then we won't prompt for updating in production. Definitely will disable any auto-updates on the iPads. If a retailer doesn't have the luxury of a full test environment then just testing things out on someone's iPhone should fit the bill, right?

0 Likes