Update Customer List in POS

Tourist
19 0 2

I made some changes to my customer list on the website (deleted a customer, edited a name, etc) and POS is still showing old information.

For the name I edited, I tried searching for the new name, and surprisingly it came up and changed what appeared in the list - the old one went away.

However, for the deleted customer, I can't get it to update.  I know I can uninstall the app and reinstall, but that will make my iPad ID# change - I have the numbers I want and I'm already up to #'s 10, 11, and 12 for 3 iPads....

Can POS be forced to update the customer list without a reinstall? (or can i get my iPad ID's set manually?) Thanks.  This is the same problem for Mobile too, as I had to uninstall and reinstall to get rid of deleted customers and deleted products.  

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
235 0 27

Hi Chris,

Can POS be forced to update the customer list without a reinstall? 

Unfortunately the only way to synchronize deleted customers on the POS app is a re-install. We realize this is not ideal and are looking into ways to fix this. Our understanding is that deleting customers is something that is not done very often, is this true?

0 Likes
Tourist
19 0 2

sure, it shouldn't happen often, but when it does, they really shouldn't appear in any customer list anymore :)

maybe i'll try to rename it with a ZZ or something so it appears at the bottom of the list for now.

the Products always update constantly and can be deleted or hidden from POS, so it'd be nice if Customer accounts had the same kind of protocols.

just letting you know.  i have a TON of questions and suggestions for POS. maybe i'll consolidate them all into one thread :)

thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
235 0 27

Hi Chris,

I agree, ideally, they shouldn't. 

The customers that you see in POS are the first 10 alphabetically sorted, so, eventually you should not see the deleted customer if enough customers are added that are alphabetically sorted before them.

All suggestion and questions regarding POS are welcome. We always aim to prioritize our roadmap based on what is most important to our customers. 

0 Likes
Tourist
19 0 2

Yup! I think Shopify POS is the best thing out there right now (I've tried pretty much every iPad POS available) and has features for actual retail/shop owners. I understand the dev cycle and think you guys are totally on the right track!

0 Likes
Tourist
19 0 2

A tip I figured out: do NOT delete customers if you use POS and want to retain your iPad ID number.

Instead of deleting, just cancel (and delete) all orders, but then just Edit the customer information - name, email, etc.  

In POS, click "add customer" then do a search for the new customer info you just made - it will pop up and replace the old one. 

Now that I've deleted my "Demo1" from the database, it will not delete or allow it to change with this trick, so just don't delete customers for now!

0 Likes