Variants to list in POS and online

5 0 0

When adding a variant to a product, for instance we have "kitchen and dinning" as a product, I have been adding items as variants to this product. WILL I be able to edit these variants in the future to be online items as well? With out the whole product being both? If not, will they all have to be individual items in order to have that level of control?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
77 3 8

Hi, @HeidiC !

Thank you for reaching out in the community about this. If I understand correctly, it sounds like you were hoping to have the ability to make one variant of a product available on the online store, while still having other variants only available on the POS. 

This is not currently a built in feature on the platform, so if you'd like to provide me with the name of your store then I would be happy to submit that as a feature request for you. You could potentially reach out to one of our Shopify Experts to see if this would be possible using custom coding, or someone else in the community may know how to do that as well. 

Currently sales channel availability is controlled on the product level, so my suggestion would be to create a duplicate product where one would have the variants you want available on the POS, and the other would have the variants you want available on the online store.

Alternatively, you can create each item as it's own product, and then group them all together in a collection, which would typically be how items in a kitchen and dining set would be sold. What kind of products are you selling specifically? 

Brie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
5 0 0

Thank you for the information. So, if I sell gurgle pots and only want to offer the red, orange, and blue variant in my online store, I have to make those their own product?

I guess I will have to re-do a lot my work, unfortunately :(

So the best way to do this would be make everything it's own product, and just add it to collections?

Heidi

0 Likes
5 0 0

Is there a way to split out variants in to individual products?

This would save me hours.

Heidi

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
77 3 8

Hi, @HeidiC .

Thank you for your response! If you are selling a product that you offer in different colours then you can list them as different products if you prefer to, however I would personally recommend having a main product with the different colours as variants.

If you sell certain colours on the online store, and then the other colours on the POS, then I would suggest the option I mentioned above -  you can create a duplicate product where one has the variants for POS, and the other would have the variants that you'd like to sell on the online store. Each product would only be available on it's related sales channel. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

0 Likes
5 0 0

Hi @Brie 

Is there a way to split out variants in to individual products?

This would save me hours.

Thank you!

Heidi

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
77 3 8

Hi, @HeidiC.

You would need to duplicate the product, and then just manually delete the variants you didn't want to keep for the copy. You can see instructions for duplicating a product here. Alternatively, you could export a CSV file of your products, make the edits on the CSV, and then import it back into your store - you can find more information about that process here, but I think your first option will be the easiest solution! 

0 Likes
5 0 0

Do you think this issue will be remedied any time soon?

I found a complaints of these issues with shopify dating back to 2014.

It would be so helpful for a variant to be available on both channels a part from the main product. 

Thank you for your help I appreciate it!

Heidi

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
77 3 8

Hi, @HeidiC.

You're very welcome, happy to help! If you'd like to pass along your store's URL, I would be happy to submit a feature request for you. This means it is sent up to the team as something you'd like to see added to the platform, and if it is a popular request then it may be implemented in the future. Thank you! 

0 Likes