Will this POS system be available for Android Tablets in the near future?

Shopify Partner
133 0 7

Sean. whats your email? I can have you setup with a free Ipad2, no problem.

0 Likes
2 0 7

I see that Shopify Mobile was recently introduced, and that made me notice that Shopify POS was iOS only. This is a real problem because while buying an iPad just for Shopify is merely inconvenient and expensive, switching our phones to iOS is simply out of the question. We would also be more inclined to use a computer, like a ChomeBook, than a tablet, so an HTML version would make even more sense.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 13

Hi Justin. For merchants on a tighter budget, the iPad 2 offered by Apple starts at $399 and will do a great job of running Shopify POS. Compared to traditional POS systems that can cost several thousand dollars, we think the iPad feature set and price point make it to be an ideal tablet for merchants looking for a more modern POS solution.

0 Likes
2 0 7

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

My main complaint though is not that an iPad costs too much (I called it "merely inconvenient and expensive") but that owners and employees who already have Android phones and tablets, would have to either switch to iOS or purchase and carry a second device to take advantage of Shopify Mobile.

Asking your users to switch their personal device from Android to iOS, which is essentially what you do by not supporting Android, is a very tall order.

As Android users like me investigate online store and POS systems, it would be great if we could see that you actually do intend to support the platform, rather than the current "no immediate plans" stance which causes us to look elsewhere.

6 Likes