creating products from existing barcodes

1 0 0

is there a way to scan an existing barcode on a product & have that information load into a new product page?

we are just setting up shopify with the pos for our bricks & mortar homewares & gift store, but have around 2000 existing products, so trying to avoid manually entering every single piece of information for each unique product. 

what is the most efficient way to enter them all?? and no, we don't have them on a csv. sheet. 

thanks for any help with this. feeling overwhelmed.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
236 0 42

Hey, Michelle!

My name is Aaron, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but scanning items into your inventory isn't currently possible using the Shopify POS.  At the moment, your best option for adding lots of products in bulk is via a CSV - if you don't have one already worked up, you can always create one - there's more on CSV files right over here, and a template that you can download here.  

I can absolutely see why the capability to do so would be a major boon to our merchants, so what I'd like to do is reach out to our developers with a feature request on this.  We don't have a timeline on when (or if) a requested feature will be added, but it's always a good thing to let our devs know what pain points our merchants are experiencing.  Once I've sent out this response, I'll send an email to you to set up that feature request - just respond back to me there, and I'll send it up straight away!

Hope that's helped!  Please feel free to give us a call or start a live chat at any time, we're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Aaron | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Any update on this?  I'd like to be able to add an existing item's bar code to the product page.  Is this possible or do I need to create my own and label over the existing bar code? 

0 Likes