"holding" Inventory

Solved

For most all of our customers, we have a strict rule (Our items are perishable) that items must be paid for before they are held. We receive phone calls regularly for someone asking if we can hold a plant for them, and then they no show. So, our fix has been "Sorry, we can only hold plants with payment" which typically results in a over-the-phone payment. Which is fine and works well. We issue a refund if it sits for a week in the holding room without pickup. 

But, for some customers, who come in weekly, I'd love to be able to offer to them "Hey no problem, I can hold it for you, just pay when you show up". They are loyal to us, and I'd love to recognize that with a simple gesture that is not awarded to one time customers. The hiccup though, is if I only have 1 of that product left in stock and I offer to "set it aside without payment" for a loyal customer, it very well may sell online in the meantime.

If there was a feature to "hold" a product, and put that product on hold so it can't be bought from under them, our shop would use it. 

SO then you enter into messy mucking around with inventory territory.

1 year e-commerce, 7 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
18 2 2

Hi Shawn!

Vincent here from Shopify.

There are two ways in which you could make sure that products aren't available for customers to purchase anymore:

1. You can create a draft order for the item, and then "reserve" the item; if Shopify is set to track the inventory of the product, and the product is set to not allow sales when the inventory reaches "0", reserving the item will make it impossible for other customers to buy the product. The product will still show as normal on the website, but when someone tries to buy the product in the online store they will get a message that the product is no longer available when they reach the checkout. You can read information about how to create draft orders and reserve items by clicking here.

2. Another possibility is to again create a draft order, but instead of marking the item as reserved, you can set the draft order to be partially paid, for example by USD $0.00; this will make the system think that the product has been sold, and it will be removed from the inventory. If the customer decides to not continue with the purchase after all, you can refund the partial payment and select to have the product be placed back in the inventory. To refund an order, follow these steps, and make sure that the checkbox as shown in this screenshot is ticked:

I hope one of these options is a suitable solution for you!

All the best, Vincent

Vincent | Community Guru @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Thanks for the suggestions. I had considered drafts and "reserving" the products. This doesn't seem like a reasonable fix for a POS location as draft orders cannot be completed using POS. So if they show up to pay for their product using interac, well now be juggling two different "orders" for a single sale.
0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
18 2 2

Hi Shawn,

Can I ask which POS device you are using? The reason I ask is that when you use an iPad for example, it's possible to create an order in the POS-app, and then mark the order as "unpaid"; this will remove the item from the inventory, and will create a (partially) unpaid order in the "orders" tab. When the customer is ready to make the payment, you can open the order, and complete the transaction.

Would this work for you?

Vincent | Community Guru @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
You kidding me. That would work perfect. Is this a new feature? Being able to retrieve the order and complete the payment.

This should work perfect, I'll try it soon!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
3 0 0

Hi Shawn

This works fine until you need to return 1 item off your Unpaid list of products then it will not allow you to "Take Payment" and locks the order with an incorrect Outstanding Due balance. I have reported this bug several times to support to get it escalated and pushing for a fix ASAP. Not sure why it is not a priority update but keeping my fingers crossed as is a great feature and clients use it for "On Account" sales. 

0 Likes