traveling location - sales tax

4 0 0

I'm hoping to use POS at sales events that I travel to, usually for a weekend. I am required to collect sales tax in the state of the transaction but then don't need to collect after I leave that state. What is the best way to set up sales tax for traveling event based selling such as this? 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
232 0 27

Hi Dana,

Thanks for the question, just create a location and set your POS app to that location in the app settings. The app should calculate the taxes automatically for you then.

Hope this helps,

0 Likes
4 0 0

Thanks Andrew.

- And then delete it when the event is over so that my web customers don't get charged sales tax after I'm no longer selling in that state?

- Will I be charged the Shopify POS fee for each location even if temporary? Events generally run 5 days or so, but I have one that will be 6 weeks and will run concurrent with another event in another state.

0 Likes
6 0 0

I am using the pos in a travelling setup as well, I was changing the location for reporting purposes but later got a bill for $300 for the different locations. Won't be doing that again....

I have a problem with the tax in the shopify Pos! All the product on the online store has tax included, when I use the shopify pos, it adds tax on top of the price, I have to manually take out the tax on every transaction so the total is correct. I hope shopify will fix this as it ruins all my reports and taxes. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

I had a feeling it was going to be another $49 each time I travel. Yuck! I'm still stunned by the 7 day turn time to have $ deposited in my account when every other processor is 24-48 hours. Makes no sense. However, my previous set up has been a tremendous manual process post event to get sales data into my book keeping system. I can live with the $49 each event as a trade off but the 7 day float is ridiculous. Can't imagine that this is a technology issue...

0 Likes
Navigator
1137 0 118

Re: the 7 days. Shopify partnered with Stripe and Stripe takes 7 days currently. Issue I believe has to do with the risk model. If they wait longer for transactions to clear they can take a smaller cut than other processors. To cover the risk sooner means more exposure which means more cost. Just my layman's take on the posts and articles I have read.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
4 0 0

Thanks for that additional info. If that's the case then shopify should explain it in their info. It is a turn off for a lot of us as we compare options and think about cash flow.

0 Likes