Do Shopify Plan to develop the core basics of the platform?

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 0 11
Hello. I’m new to Shopify and so far I do think it’s brilliant. My gripe is the need for an app for even basic things - the generic response every time is oh we have an app for that - great but they all cost more than the monthly Shopify cost in many cases .

Just one example I pay $29 USD for Shopify yet a decent product filter is also the same price as the whole platform. I have tons of examples of things like this that I would consider basics of e-commerce in 2020. I see many basic requests have been asked for many times years and years ago and still no functionality . Can we assume if an app can do it Shopify has no interest in developing it and happy just take their cut off apps ? Yes. I’d rather pay a higher monthly and know I had all the basics covered. Seriously Shopify could wipe out 80% of the app stores overnight if they developed some core basics of 2020 functionality - the Shopify unite is great and I’m sure everyone is happy at new features like being able to donate at the cart - but I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say 99% would have preferred you put your time and resource into basics, what most people have asked for ain’t rocket science or advanced features. Like shipping by location eg Not all UK is same cost - I saw asked for 7 years ago and more recently in 2019 & 2020. Of course this is just one example and not relevant to all, but you get my point.

Kind Regards

2 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Partner
1909 82 243

This is common for new mercants and is a mental shift you need to embrace for awareness.

Apps give you options you would otherwise never have they don't remove features.

Shopify is general platform for democratizing ecommerce almost paradoxically it cannot can do that by being everything to everyone.

This means you still need invest in your specific business cases while getting the advantage of general features being able to scale.

What is a "decent" filter to is realtive most merchants only need tags

https://shopify.dev/tutorials/customize-theme-filter-collections-with-product-tags

The assumption that shopify doesn't make features because the want a cut off app revenue is preposterous and you only need to look over the financials to see how little apps contribute to shopify's bottom line.

The dont make everything everyone wants because it's not that simple.

I’d rather pay a higher monthly and know I had all the basics covered

If it's critical develop a custom solution.

There are over 1 million stores, the basics for all those is unsustainable.

There are thousands of apps in the appstore and no single company can compete with that level of distributed manpower.

I’m sure I speak for everyone w

No. 

Rocket science or not human time is a limited resource and shopify has a decade of experience using it carefully and proof.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 0 11
Thanks Paul for the reply. All understood . Have a nice day.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
48 1 8

I totally disagree.  Small merchants cannot afford that "mental shift"  and if you have too many add on apps one is bound to break the other. If I added all the apps that I felt logically should've been there to begin with, I'd be spending upwards of $100+ a month.  Again I repeat, this is not affordable for "small businesses".  (unless you consider small doing 500k a year then how about the millions of micro businesses out there) Especially if you're just starting out!  There have been so many things requested in the community (for years) that have been ignored. It's disheartening.   I'm loving many things about shopify but the whole add this app and that app every time you ask a question on the forums is a little out of hand. Some things are just logical and belong there.  The way pick up was added so quickly for covid19 I think these other things that have been requested for years could've been added too.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 0 11
Perhaps an idea would be run polls to see which features are most wanted / needed / requested that way we can be confident that money / time / resource is being directed towards the areas of improvement for the greatest number of needs - I mean is tipping at the checkout essential for most people? I’d consider it a nice to have but not above core features, even if the features I need didn’t end up getting developed I’d be happy that whatever did get developed would be for the greater good and greatest number of members . Point taken Shopify can’t be everything to everyone but when you have an app with thousands of downloads that must tell you something no? That there is demand and it’s a feature missing that a lot of people need, I’d understand if what people were asking for were advanced features I’d say look fair enough But 99% of the time the features are basic . Like how long has amazon for UK integration being going on for ? There are apps available so it can obviously be done, we can hardly say oh this feature is unique to me and don’t need it ect and everyone’s needs is different ect - who wouldn’t benefit from being on biggest market in world . To be honest I’d class amazon as a bit more advanced so can’t really argue about it not being available . It’s the stupid shit you need apps for that bugs me . Also wouldn’t be too bad if more keenly priced .. woo offer tons of app bundle for $40 so Shopify seem expensive but they know they have you by the balls as you absolutely need them to operate and compete .
1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
48 1 8

Agreed  some type of voting system would be great  but it would need to be somewhere that everyone could see it in order to get the most response (not like community boards having meetings when everyone is in work and then stating that they had no participation so they were allowed to make the decisions themselves - get my drift there?)
2 things I know for sure it that, when a shopper is mobile, they need to "open up the item summary" to find the coupon code entry box.   No!  the last thing we need is for the customer to try and guess where the coupon entry box is.
2nd... There are so many customized products shops here.  We all inventory a hard good but sell designs.  The variant system and inventory really needs a re-work for that whole industry.   I have some items that have met a cap on variants due to .. how many shirt colors,  how many sizes,  then the color of the design chosen  the font for the text.  Oh yes, its nice to know what designs sell but......  if it's totally custom, shops do not "inventory" designs nor fonts, nor colors of designs.  
Then... you should see what that whole variant thing looks like when you're trying to pull a design into a facebook or instagram post.  You have a billion shirts to pull from and it keeps going and going and going down the screen 1 at a time.  I understand the logic somewhat, I mean if I was going to post an image for each variant (I would be crazy to try and do so as I'd be so busy making mock images I'd have no time to post the actual shirt to shopify)  
I have so many custom liquid files it's ridiculous. 
There are so many more things that have been requested, for years, and yes that also goes to how many apps have had thousands of downloads too.
and once again....  this app is 9.99 that one is 35.99  the other one is 4.99  another one is 9.99   There's 61. already plus 29.99 a month.  It's just not affordable. 
and then.......   the theme gets an update and guess what... All your customization goes bye bye. You have to re-do all your liquid files, all your tweaks, etc etc etc.
Other equally important things is the ability to stop spam posts to the contact form. The ability to block rouge bots, and visitors who are not bots but actually trying to inject stuff to your site.  ahrefs and other competitor bots trying to scrape your site for all your info,  and the newer ones that keep coming out every day that are not as big as ahrefs.  Those type of harmful traffic, sniffing annoyances etc.  although .htaccess is not the end all and be all to stopping this it would still be nice to have access.

Again....  I love so many things about shopify and I'm not trying to trash it or any app designers as they are there trying to #1 fulfil a need and #2 make a living and we all need to do that right?  But... there's got to be a happy medium.
Just one more thing to address one of the things you said.... right now, with all the restaurants slowly re-opening etc,  yeah I'd say tipping is important.  I mean it's not my industry but its the one getting all the attention right now and I feel for those wait staff people who have to serve people, especially right now.  If you're going to service the service industry then yes, tipping should be built in. if you're going to do it then do it right.

1 Like
Highlighted

That was one of my comments back. I am a big business in a micro business body. I need functions that are often trapped in higher paying vendors but I can't afford them and they consider me starter, or beginner, when I'm a 10 year old business that just needs more functionality that doesn't cost $200 more a month to achieve. All these add-on's end up taking a moderate fee and turning it into an exorbitant fee within just a few moves. Sell online, ok, sell in-store, more, send invoices--an app, split a delivery--an app, send gift-card options--an app, sync well to bookkeepers--another app, loyalty--an app, an app an app an app an app..

Just be like Apple already, they swallow their 3rd parties lunch all the time. Does it stink for 3rd parties sometimes? Ayup, does it benefit the consumer? Ayup. Dog eat dog world out there and I'm going broke just trying to do what I consider fundamental good business with a blood-letting of ramoras that want to charge $20+ per addon, per month. smh. Wouldn't be so bad if it was properly scalable but it rarely if ever is.

The Secret Chocolatier (shopify) : http://thesecretchocolatier.com | Homemade Chocolate Gifts (blog): http://homemadechocolategifts.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 0 11

but you can now tip at the cart bro....remember that!!

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
48 1 8

I get it  but... at least with them coming in with a model for the restaurant industry, at least they're doing it right by adding all the functionality for it. I just wish they would look back and use that same "do it right" mindset to fix the original model.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1909 82 243

I added all the apps that I felt logically should've been there to begin with, I'd be spending upwards of $100+ a month.

Choosing mental shift is entrepreneurship at it's core, coming at any business situation solely from a consumer perspective only serves to create frustration and entitlement.

Apps create an affordable business flexibility that otherwise wouldn't exist.

Apps solve problems in ways that most small business could never figure out how to properly develop or invest in.

Hoping any single platform can fulfill all of a businesses critera is just unhealthy.

Consider if those apps cost $100+ and pay for themselves with $100+ dollars in either revenue or time savings then just use them why give them any more thought beyond maintenence or longterm investment in replacing them with something custom?

If the apps cannot contribute to the model with a net positive that's a signal that feature isn't actually worthwhile investing in, especially from a platform perspective.

Invest where you can ignore the rest until you can.

There have been so many things requested in the community (for years) that have been ignored

The amount of things requested in aggregate by a community pales in comparison to the actual features that are actually needed, exist and are used on platforms. For shopify you could gather all the unique names in every such  community thread and it would still barely be ~1-2% of the 1 million merchant stores running on shopify who all have very specific requests.

Being a kitchen sink isn't affordable to small busineseses or enterprise businesses.

The way pick up was added so quickly for covid19 I think these other things that have been requested for years could've been added too

It 100% does not work like that;

Shopify continually has things in the works and different tests running , an early release of a few features is not proof to rationalize that they can build everything under the sun.

Lets get to what I see as one of the core sentiments that I do think is valid towards disliking apps and see what shakes out:

I'm loving many things about shopify but the whole add this app and that app every time you ask a question on the forums is a little out of hand.

I agree with this but probably not for the same reasons, those "use this app" answers are simply a result of tragedy of the commons , crowd knowledge leaning towards taking whatever presents itself as the simple,cheap and accessible off-the-shelf answer because there are more new people than there are experts to answer questions deeply.

Deep answers cost someone time and money , then the built solutions tend to be proprietary though realistly just no one bothers to properly document the solution for the community to use because that costs more time.

OR what happens alot is those deep solutions then become apps that can be sold cheaply to the masses, becoming the default answer ∞ .

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
0 Likes