Reunite Feedback

Highlighted
2 0 0

I listened to the Reunite address this morning, which was interesting and informative. I did expect it to be one long sales pitch and was pleasantly surprised.

As a creative who is also a techie, I have been used to ultimate control over how a website of mine looks, with ability to tweak the smallest detail. I was, therefore, gratified to hear of the upcoming flexibility of designing pages.

The free theme I use, 'Debut,' is a good one, however, I am always redirected to an app when I want to achieve the simplest of tasks. Conversely, I am told to buy one of the nearly £200 themes which would eliminate the need for apps. As a micro-business, I cannot justify spending £200 on a theme.

It would be good to see theme prices come down or, alternatively, more robust themes made free of charge. I did, however, welcome the anomaly of gift cards becoming available to all without having to upgrade my plan which, at the moment, works for me.

I love my Shopify shop front as a merchant who does most of her selling offline. However, I will be driven to spend more time on nurturing online sales, but the inflexibility of the themes available often give me pause.

Being said, the address made me decide not to move away from Shopify to a UK-based provider, so job well done.

My best, Mel

The Cushion Maven

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
608 15 154

Hi @TheCushionMaven 

Glad you enjoyed the Reunite stream yesterday- there are a lot of great features upcoming which are super exciting! 

I appreciate your feedback on our premium themes, and I'd like to expand a bit on what these themes offer you. There are often specific features that are integrated into these paid themes, like collection filtering, and galleries that will be an alternative to using an app. There's a double benefit here- you won't need to commit to a recurring app charge, and the feature is custom-built for that theme, meaning it runs fast and looks nice. 

But another service that is provided is support and updates from the theme developer. If you are experiencing any problem with the theme, the theme developers are available to fix any bugs and assist you with your issue. Also when new features are released the theme developers will release a new version of the theme that you can install on your store.

So for example, when the new Online Store Design Experience is launched, you will just need to update your theme or install the newest version, to have access to all the new sections. In this way what you invest in now, pays off in the future. This service is also available with free themes like Debut too, so if you want to continue using this theme (which is great!) that's also a good option. 

Hope this helps!

Liam Griffin

Shopify | Developer Community Manager

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Thank you for that considered response, Liam. It all works for now so, for now, that’s better than good enough.

Thanks, again, Mel
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1909 82 243

@TheCushionMaven 

As a micro-business, I cannot justify spending £200 on a theme

Shopify does have several simple customizations they will do for official themes, even free themes.

https://shopify.dev/tutorials#ThemesCustomization

For premium themes, or customizations,  work still has to be given by someone with experience and time is valuable for everyone and having options is healthier than not.

Consider if you were soley brick and morter how much would you spend on redesigning or adding features to your storefront and interior?

Why should such an investment be any different simply because the store is virtual?

As for apps if you wanted an automatic door for a brick and mortar store would you expect your landlord to pay for it an install it for you?

Or would you first search for a property that has one installed already?

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1909 82 243

@Liam for threads like this with shopify.dev change there really should be a master list of supported customizations on help.shopify.com (i.e. https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/using-themes /supported-customizations, or adding the list into https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/using-themes/theme-support after the design policy

(shopify.dev/tutorials massive list is an intimidating entry point and hash hrefs dont work properly due to sticky header, nor does the list there indicate simple vs advanced customizations)

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
0 Likes