50$ a month for POS, seriously! square is free

Stephen_Montes
Tourist
9 0 1

50$ a month for pos, seriously! square is free

I was really excited to see the pos. I didnt even look at the fees, well because they werent advertised, so I assumed that it was a really cool feature included in my really expensive service called shopify. Especially with all the addon apps that you need. I really thought that wow how awesome they are taking on square with their pos. But shopify isnt interested in taking square customers free vs 600$ a year to start. and the only benefit that you get is your website items are on the pos.

Am I the only one who thinks that 50$  a month is rediculus?. Shopify is making money on the credit card transactions, the website hosting, and transaction fees. As opposed to square, who only collects fees from the credit card fees and no transaction fees.

There needs to be an option without .30 fees. For a few website orders a day no problem. For 200 pos sales a day not affordable. So now, I use my square, which I have to manually input items, for my sales and only use the shopify pos for items not in stock that I have to ship. or orders that are called in via telephone. But 50$ amonth isnt affordable for a dozen orders a month.

But this isnt the only problem that I have.

1. If I use this, then all of my simple cash transactions are commingled with my website orders. 

2. What I really need this for is backend order entry , for shipping. there is no shipping option, and when you look up the order in dashboard it tells me that its not fulfilled, ok but it assumes that shipping isnt required. 

I really dont think that shopify thought this through. All that they saw was that other pos systems charge money , but what they dont realize is that they dont make any other money other that their pos system. and they have very small cleint base.

the only systems that are succeeding are the free ones. and dont try to tell me that square isnt making any money. how much is 2.75% of 1 billion dollars.

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the feedback

Shopify offers a full POS solution that allows you to: manage your inventory, create and manage customers, split tenders and process layaways, manage staff, accept customer payment types and more. This is not available for free anywhere.

We build this app for customers that run retail locations, we will have a product coming for micro-sellers in the future. 

In regards to your other problems:

1. If I use this, then all of my simple cash transactions are commingled with my website orders. 

You can use our filters to separate everything out. You can even create a "tab" to only show your in-store orders.

2. What I really need this for is backend order entry , for shipping. there is no shipping option, and when you look up the order in dashboard it tells me that its not fulfilled, ok but it assumes that shipping isnt required. 

This is coming in the update next week :)

Hope this helps,

Stephen_Montes
Tourist
9 0 1

what about the .30 transaction fees if I have 200 trancations a week in my retail location that is 60$ extra dollars a week. I can give square 250$ on the first of the month and have 0 fees and 0 transaction fees up to 25000$ in sales. with shopify if I have 600 transactions thats 200$ in just transaction fees. 18000$ in sales at 2% = 360$ +200= 560$ in fees. or 250$ to square. 

0 Likes
Stephen_Montes
Tourist
9 0 1

I tried the filter it still commingles the money on the dashboard

0 Likes
Stephen_Montes
Tourist
9 0 1

It might not be free anywhere which is why im paying you over 100$ for my site . What you dont get is that I am already paying you to do all this for me. all of you add on apps and pos makes your service very expensive. square may not have all of your things but it is FREEEEEEEEE. they get their revenue from credit card transcations. You get your revenue, from my site it app commisions, the  credit card fees the pos monthly fees, your getting it from every angle.  

0 Likes
Stephen_Montes
Tourist
9 0 1

If people that I read on you discussions about this are still trying to use square and the pos. then you are too expensive. Figure it out so that we as business owners can keep it simple. 

0 Likes
Stephen_Montes
Tourist
9 0 1

I dont understand the "tabs " that you are referring to.

0 Likes
Rebecca_Ford
1 0 2

Greetings,

I just want to say that I am VERY interested in the product you mention above that is coming in the future for micro-sellers. That will be very helpful for me.

Rebecca

Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hey Stephen,

Sorry I didn't get a notification on the reply. I was referring to the "save your search" feature in orders: http://docs.shopify.com/manual/your-store/customers/search-customers

You can search for only your POS transaction by choosing "Location" in the dropdown and then selecting your retail location.

0 Likes
Terry_Johnson
8 0 0

Stephen, 

What is the estimated availability of this micro selling feature? I am launching my product in a little over a month, and while most sales will be online, I plan on hosting trunk shows at sporting events every few weekends to get our name out there and anticipate making some sales. Please let me know if this may be available by then so I can plan accordingly, because the POS system as is would likely run us a negative profit. 

0 Likes