Add price to product when placed in checkout cart.

Highlighted
2 0 0

It would be great if we could create products for POS without set prices or have the ability to modify prices when we add them to the checkout cart. My business sells organic meats by the pound so one steak could weigh 1.2lbs while another weighs 1.34lbs.  One solution is to put weight thresholds as varients (small: 0.95;bs - 1.1lbs, medium: 1.11lbs - 1.15lbs, large: 1.16 - 1.2lbs) but that makes inventory management a nightmare as I would have to pre-weigh every item and sort them.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
289 0 221

Hey Austin,

You can make a custom sale with the POS that will let you change the prices, but I get the need for having something where you can enter the weight and the system calculates the price per lb or oz. I've added that as a request to our POS team. :) We already have customers wishing we were compatible directly with a scale, so this might be something that can help in more ways than one.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

This is the same as an issue I have had with shopify ever since I started up 6 months ago.  I sell fabric by whatever legth the customer wants.  1 yard, 1.2 yards etc....  There is no way around it other than creating the max amount of variables possible - which means you can't inventory anything using shopify - and also means that you run into MASSIVFE reports when it comes to exporting and importing and shopify has this awesome qwerk where if you export large quantities... like a product with 50 legth or weight variations... it will randomly reorder them.  You'll export (in my case legths) of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

You'll open the spreadsheet and it will be ordered as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 16, 19, 20  Which makes doing bulk changes nearly impossible because you are forced to pay attention to every single line in the spreadsheet to find the one or two errors that 50% of the time are bound to show up somewhere in the list of 100's of variables.

Shopify gurus will repeatedly suggest apps such as sell by the measure.... however they do not accept fractional entries (1.2 yards or 1.2oz) so they are completely useless.

I have 60 fabrics and each has 100 variables in order to sell between 1-5 metres and 1-5 yards - and therefore nothing can be inventoried.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
174 0 27

How about creating products with small fractions, e.g. 0.1lbs, or 0.1yards, and then choosing quantity based on the weight/length?

Streamline your shop and sell more http://www.suppleApps.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

That works but you can't track inventory with this method. Inventory management is so vital in my business because I can't just order up some cows. I need to see what is selling, what's trending over time, etc ... to know if I need to increase or decrease my herd count months in advance.

I could see using quantity as a measurement for fabric though. But that comes down to whether or not you want to manage inventory by yard, or by bolt.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
22 0 3

Is it possible to use the "Custom Sale" function but have it attached to a specific category for bookkeeping purposes?  In other words, can I do (Category) (Custom Sale - type in name) (Custom Price?)

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 3

Add my vote.
We sell hundreds of different styles of buttons, at different prices ranging from $.05-14.00. Ideally at checkout the clerk would choose "Buttons" then enter the unit price and quantity. We only track sales at this level.

For a smile, Shopify support suggested I create variants for each price point under Buttons... 1,395 of them?

0 Likes