Adding Serial Numbers to Products

EJC
Tourist
3 0 19

Hello,

I have a brick and mortar store and want to implement a self check out but the products need to be able to have unique serial numbers for every product whether they are the same size/color/type or not.  Is there a third-party app that allows us to input a serial number into every item? 

I would prefer that Shopify engineers implement this asap as an option.  It would greatly benefit Shopify because many industries would use it beyond self-checkout such as warranty issues, returns, RFID solutions, self-checkout, shrink reduction, labor cost reduction, personalized service increase, batch tracking and more.  I think that it can be done quickly through Shopify Products and in order to be on the cutting edge of technology this must be implemented immediately.

Thanks,

EJ

Replies 88 (88)

Ryder
Shopify Staff (Retired)
450 56 90

Hey there, @EJC!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! Are you looking to add a Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) or a Barcode number to your products?

For both of these fields, you can enter unique numbers to each individual product variant - regardless of size or colour. You can include this data in the CSV file that you upload, or update your existing products in the Bulk Editor by selecting the "Add fields" drop-down and choosing SKU or Barcode. Each product variant will have it's own field to input unique numbers:

04-50-lg2w5-htmsw

If you're looking to create scannable barcodes for your products to sell in-store, you can look at installing the Retail Barcodes app and follow this guide to help you setup and create a barcode template. Are you using our POS app to sell in person? If your business is located in United States, Canada, United Kingdom or Ireland you can purchase hardware for your retail store - like Barcode Scanners or Barcode Printers.

I hope this information helps! If there's anything I can clarify, please let me know and I'd be happy to see how I might be of assistance.

Cheers.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

EJC
Tourist
3 0 19
Hello Ryder,

I already use barcodes and SKUs. I need something that doesn't exist in the products page yet. I need serial numbers to uniquely identify every product in order to make a self check out work in my store. But I know this is also something that will assist many other Shopify users with other options within their business.

Thanks,

EJ
DonDrummStudios
Visitor
1 0 3

YES We are looking for something exactly like this as well. We were told that using Stocky may do it - trying to figure that out now.

Kraigc
Visitor
1 0 5

Our Company is looking for the same thing! We need to be able toapp assign the serial numbers from the product sold to a field within shopify's Order Summary.. When a customer contacts us for support at a later time we need to reference the serial number to confirm it is their product. We offer a complete replacement guarantee and it depends on accurately tracking and verifying the serial number assigned when purchased.. 

How can I use a Shopify app that assigns the serial number to the Order and not just to a customer so that if the Customer orders more than one time the serial numbers are attached to the order so warranty time periods can be tracked. 

Thank You

guitjoe
Tourist
3 0 8

We're in the process of migrating our store over from Lightspeed Retail to Shopify Plus and I just realized Shopfy's inability to track serial numbers. This is critical to my business where 90% of the products are serialized for warranties, tracking, historical data etc. Without this feature, Shopify (and Stocky) are basically useless. All products should have the option to be serialized and those serial numbers need to be attached to customer invoices and purchase orders. ON a related note, Shopify's product pages should have more fields available for Vendor SKU's. Not user-defined SKU's, but the uniquer codes vendors use for ordering product through PO's. It'd be far easier to have this as in your CSV import file than to have to reenter this codes in Stocky.

jhartwell
Shopify Partner
34 1 13

Im looking for the same thing. Almost all software sends a serial number to the customer. The closest thing is SendOwl.

simplerfid
Shopify Partner
17 0 4

@jhartwell give us a call and let us demo this exact feature you are looking for.

CoreAir
Tourist
3 0 7

Did this ever get resolved? Did you find a solution?

guitjoe
Tourist
3 0 8

No. The solution is to not use Shopify POS. Use another POS system and have it integrate with your Shopify site. We use Lightspeed with Accumula as the the go-between. So far it's working beautifully. Shopify POS is really not deigned to handle advanced inventory management. 

jhartwell
Shopify Partner
34 1 13

Can you be more specific. Light speed seems to be more of anPOS system and not something to handle serials and digital downloads

Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
77 1 48

Hi All, Wanted to see if this was still a feature people wanted to see added to Shopify POS. We are looking to add this as a feature to our Draft Orders app, but I want to gauge interest. Let me know if the ability to add serial numbers, lot numbers, and other pieces of information to your orders is still something you are interested in!

Max Sadlowski - CEO - BentoSMB - Shopify Expert
CoreAir
Tourist
3 0 7

Absolutely! We need inventory management where we can scan in and out and track warranties etc!

jhartwell
Shopify Partner
34 1 13

Definitely....it would be nice to add the serial to the tracking number or having a user area to reference the serial.

this is the biggest flaw in Shopify.

Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
77 1 48

@CoreAir & @jhartwell - Thank you for your responses, this is very good to know and something we will look to add in the near future as we expand the app. I have added this to our suggestion system. You can see the two examples here and comment further if you like. I would encourage you both to add in your use cases and follow by email, as that is where we will put further updates on these issues. Anyone else reading this after the fact, please feel free to add as well!

Add Tacking/Serial Number System

Add Check Out/Check In System on POS

JC77
Visitor
1 0 4

This is great to see! We are looking to adopt an inventory management system right now, and we badly need integration with serial number tracking for the same reasons stated at the start of the thread, but of course right now our integration with Shopify will not let us track serial numbers.

Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
77 1 48

Thanks @JC77 for adding your thoughts, I see you added feedback as well on our links which is super helpful. We are going to try and get this added as soon as possible.

sean_sherzady
Visitor
2 0 0

i was with you guys and moved to lightspeed becouse of this 

i love shipify and might be coming back this is crazy to me that a big company like yours can not do a simple add on to software and we have to go outsource this to some small company and pay more 

let me know if you guys figuered this out we are big luxury watch retiler and hoefully are coming back to you guys. 

simplerfid
Shopify Partner
17 0 4

@CoreAir our solution allows you to track items by serial number, then scan them in and out of inventory to trace these serialized items all the way to the customer! Check out our app!

cbinau
Visitor
2 0 0

We need this for our electric Bike business and Cellphone business

HYPESTREAM
Visitor
1 0 0

Absolutely! We need this. Look at this thread...many businesses need this! Let me know if you are working on it.

hbark
Visitor
1 0 2

Definitely it is a must for us (business owners) in order to manage our inventory in a perfect way.

Imagine we are selling phones with the IMEI are noted in the note section, so adding unique serial number for each product will help.

looking forward to hear good news soon.

Best Regards,

JosephAMichael
Tourist
11 0 24

Hi Max,

Any progress on this?

Would your solution include the ability to for a record lookup by the user? Such as:

https://www.psacard.com/cert/

or

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/

Our page will display text notes and an image for the matching record.

Thanks for your help!

Joseph

Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
77 1 48

@JosephAMichael We have thought about building an app like this in the past, so its certainly something we will look into! While we would allow the entry of the details into the app on POS, I beleive we would use another app to handle the certificate lookup as you showed in your two links. 

CottageQuilting
Shopify Partner
10 0 7

HI guys has this been resolved?  We sell sewing machines and being able to record the serial number is super important.

jhartwell
Shopify Partner
34 1 13

Putting the serial number from a csv list directly into the Tracking as an option would be amazing for digital goods. 

Allan_Phillips
Visitor
3 0 0

Add me to the list... really need this feature.

jlambas
Visitor
1 0 2

Also looking for this to track unique serial numbers with each order.  Very surprised theres no app integration as yet

adzum
Visitor
1 0 2

Yes this feature would be really helpful. Any update as i see the request was originally made over 5 months ago?

Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
77 1 48

Hi All, we are currently working on this in an update and should have it released shortly in our app. Sorry for the delay!

BLINDEDM
Tourist
3 0 1

Wow thats awesome!  I wanted to be able to sell serial numbers for my delivery system/download system.  Will this be native to shopify?

cbinau
Visitor
2 0 0

Will this also work on Shopify POS?

Fakesburster
Excursionist
16 1 1

Hi everyone we have release the best application specifically for this, Fakesburster (fakesburster.com)  This allows you as a store or brand owner to install a serial verification widget into your shopify store using this app. This app generate unique serials per sku for your products. Allowing your customers to verify their purchase right from your shopify store or shopify pos. This app protects your products, brands or creations, either physical or digital from any infringement or counterfeit. 
Your generated serials comes with cvv, which prevents your serials from getting counterfeited also.
Your generated serials are safely saved in the cloud through end to end encryption. Preventing your serials from any breach.

If you are a manufacturer, you can seek verification for your authorized distributors, wholesalers or retailers to use this app. They can easily add it to their online store or pos system.

We have worked tirelessly to build this app  since last year and we hope it will be beneficial for every business or creator that needs this.

Above all, this app is free to install from shopify and you only pay less than a cent per serial, without any additional charge, making it very cost effective 

For further question or inquiries kindly send us a message support@fakesburster.com

banned
320hss
Excursionist
17 0 13

What's the ETA for this? Using the serial numbers that come  assigned to the product would definitely have me using the shopify POS...we acataully signed up for the POS then had to send the equipment back because the pos does not have a serial number tracking

TamerZ
Visitor
1 0 5

When do you expect this to be done .. we have been wanting this for years - please let us know

reefloat
Excursionist
20 1 16

you and many others, issue seems to have been ignored

HSSFatima
Excursionist
13 0 3

Agreed! 

adamwork
Visitor
1 0 3

Is this released now?

BLINDEDM
Tourist
3 0 1

just found out that sendowl can do serial numbers.  Seems to work well for most people that I’ve read from on forum posts 

Rahul-LMP
Excursionist
43 0 7

max can you contact us at rahul@buildmyplace.com we are looking for this solution too 

Rahul-LMP
Excursionist
43 0 7

i signed up and tried verifying my email i got this see attachment Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 5.25.19 PM.png

Fakesburster
Excursionist
16 1 1

Hi Rahul

Our apologies as we are currently going through a system maintenance and everything should be up and running on the platform within few hours.

Thanks for your understanding 

banned
Fakesburster
Excursionist
16 1 1

Hi Rahul

Thanks for your patience, we are through with the system maintenance and your account  has been approved. You can login into the app now. 
Please do not hesitate to let us know if you need help or have further questions.

Thank you

banned
320hss
Excursionist
17 0 13

I need a to be able to add serial numbers and a friend that has been using Rain POS / Web shopping cart .

He's been having a lot of luck with it. They even have Rental and other things that a normal high end pos has and has the website has been getting a lot of organic traffic. Seems like they have it going on. Im checking them out and thinking about moving over. If you or anyone has experience with Rain POS let me know the pro's and con's.  Also I looks like they have a lot of apps that are built in like email and sms already bundled. I just started looking at it. 

Jhenricks518
Shopify Partner
3 0 3

Great to hear you’re enjoying this solution as we’re about to implement the exact same thing at our operation. We need serial numbers, work orders, layaways, etc and lightspeed is perfect for all that stuff. 

EJC
Tourist
3 0 19

Hello,

Yes, I agree the vendor SKUs would be helpful too.  This serialized items for each product to verify each order will help thousands.  Thank you for your comment.

Best,

EJ

HSSFatima
Excursionist
13 0 3

We are looking for exactly the same feature as our products are on consignment and tack through the serial number. We are supposed to get Shopify pos but backed ut because of this. I hope shopify can add this very important feature.

simplerfid
Shopify Partner
17 0 4

@HSSFatima our solution Simple RFID does this exactly. We work with a lot of vendors that manage consignment product and we help them manage product at multiple locations using serialized tags. Give us a call and we can give you a demo and show you exactly how it works.

simplerfid
Shopify Partner
17 0 4

We can help you do exactly this @guitjoe !

simplerfid
Shopify Partner
17 0 4

@Kraigc this is also available via our Shopify App. When a customer makes an online purchase you are able to scan the item to verify order accuracy which also captures the item's serial number (and related details), then links it with the corresponding Shopify order. It allows you to trace exactly who purchased what down to the serial number.