Adding a customer to an existing order or associating existing customer with new order after the sale.

DrGas
Tourist
3 0 1

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but the email receipt workaround is not working for me. I have a generic customer called "Park Swap" that I attach all orders to when I'm at my swap meet booth. I have a couple orders that I forgot to tag and need to for records. I attached my personal email to that customer account and tried emailing the receipt to it, and nothing. It emailed the receipt just fine, but no customer tagging occured.

0 Likes
stats
Shopify Expert
3 0 0

I've been trying this workaround for a customer who wasn't able to create an account first time of ordering. He then ordered again a couple of weeks later and this time was able to create an account. Now, when I try to add his email to the first order, it says 'email has already been taken'.

Does anyone have an extra layer of clunk to get around this version of the issue?!

0 Likes
hoguephoto
Tourist
3 0 10

Does anyone from Shopify actually look at these requests or are we forever just coming up with crazy workarounds? This should be so simple. Trying to train new staff with quirky workarounds is not how I want to run my business :(

cmscss
Shopify Partner
176 2 186

Unfortunately the forums are littered with data flexibility issues like this and they often go back years.

I've made multiple feature requests but there's no visibility on what Shopify thinks is important. However, they seem to put more resources into 'cool' stuff and less into nuts and bolts issues like this one (we've found lots of issues like this one).

If anybody from Shopify reads this, it's such a problem because it creates customer frustration. Customers change their minds, customers hate creating an account or signing up for anything while purchasing via Shopify POS so it's not a 'nice to have'. Also, it's 2020, customers expect more and they're right, especially when they've paid money - they want their purchases in their accounts, they want VIP status points to reflect their purchases - frankly, anyone can understand why this pisses them off! Also, as a retailer we want a clean data and a full customer history, otherwise it creates staff confusion which in turn, annoys customers again.

We've looked at other platforms but moving requires a lot of manual conversion. As soon as we have time, we'll start seriously evaluating alternatives.

It seems for every feature request regarding order editing, the answer is always "Cancel the original order and create a new order." For me, this is such a cop-out and a non-answer because the original order contains a lot of valuable information that cannot be replicated in the new order. Such as: Timeline and payment.

Computers are meant to make life easier, not harder! If this was on a paper ledger book, I could just use a white tape over the wrong information and write the correct information over it.

Seems like Shopify development team's priorities are mixed up. They are wasting time on making the platform look pretty (to get newcomers hooked) but don't care about actually solving real-world problems for their existing customers.

I don't know if things are different for the Plus customers forking out hundreds of dollars a month. Maybe it's a bias against us cheapskates at $13/mo ?

If my reply helped you, please give it a Like and mark it as Accepted Solution.
Do you need help customizing your theme or editing code? Email me!
JoeBerg
2 0 3

oh my goodness you are correct! brain exploding complexity and it can't, just can't, do basic things that you'd think it should easily be able to do.

JoeBerg
2 0 3

no, not your bias.  paying more doesn't help. This is so frustrating.

salsapirate
Tourist
3 0 0

What if the order isn't POS? i did all the email changes, but where is an option to email the receipt (or cancellation notice for this cancelled order), to the customer email that has been added (the fake one, to get the accounts to link). I can't find any way to make an email get sent, so I can't force the invoice and customer i've created after the fact, to link.

I will try with an order that was not cancelled. It has an email address and a shipping address but no customer (jeez) as it's a fulfilled order. She's also in my customer list but it says "no account". No orders. Let me see if there is an "email customer" option. fake, working, matching, email address created in order and target customer (no account).

I sent a refund 0.00 with "send notification to customer" checked, (to fake email created, in customer record and in order record). nothing came to the email for the fake address yet, and the customer was not linked to the order. it still says "no customer."

Is there help for me?

0 Likes
salsapirate
Tourist
3 0 0

Tried again to refund $0 and notify customer...checked the email server for the address I put in, I should be getting it, but nothing is coming from Shopify; also why is that block there that says "fulfilled" and has the quantity, and the option to change up to the amount shipped? It is obviously to show the amount of items the customer returned, but it doesn't SAY anything. There Is another block above that, saying "return items before issuing refunds" as if I were the one doing the returning, and there is a button that says "return items" not "accept return items" or somesuch. but if the block below it is right there, why is that button there? 

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 11.43.51 AM.png

the notification isn't sent, the customer is not linked. what is the fulfilled box for (to update the amount of items you really sent? that's a guess. or to set the number returned?) why is there a counter in it? "You can’t return an item if it’s already been refunded."   Does it say that for inventory purposes?  More things you can't change. 

just want to link the customer to the order after the fact. The email is a work around, don't see it working. i guess i better not create any orders with no customer. 

0 Likes
JennyMalt
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi Brendan,

That's totally unworkable in a retail environment. Please can you request your developers to allow the feature to add a customer after the order is complete?

Thanks and have a great day!

0 Likes