Adding a customer to an existing order or associating existing customer with new order after the sale.

Highlighted
2 0 4

YES PLEASE! 

Do we need to crowdfund this feature or is this on the roadmap? :) 

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
257 15 53

Reading this as a fly on the wall, I don't understand why this wouldn't be a more popular request. This is basic POS functionality in terms of standard post-sale edits.

How Shopify POS doesn't step the operator through the transaction really can lead to the customer not being identified. The alternative workaround would be to refund the transaction and then resell it in the web admin where the customer is then identified. But that _could_ also throw off daily payment reconciliation. 

3 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 4

Indeed!

We've just opened up our brick and mortar shop last week so building our DB is vital in this stage of our company + we are still getting the hang of everything so sometimes we forget to add the client to our DB when they are paying. 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 2

+1. Going to see if adding more voices in favor of enabling customer name editing once order is placed helps influence Shopify's roadmap.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
257 15 53

I'm not sure if y'all are aware of the workaround. It does work. A little clunky but it's functional. 

As posted previously, if an operator forgets to identify the customer for a completed POS transaction, you can pull up the order in POS. Choose to e-mail the receipt to the customer. If the e-mail address you provide matches one with an established Shopify customer record, the transaction is then linked to that customer record. Guess you'll have to perhaps explain why the customer is getting an e-mailed receipt after the fact out of the blue, but it's a serviceable workaround I suppose.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

We would definitely like this as well. Has anyone find a solution?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
257 15 53

Read my post just above yours :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Sorry, I should have clarified... unfortunately emailing the customer a receipt does not work in our situation as it would create more confusion :) 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
257 15 53

Yes, I get that for sure. It's a crude workaround and not the best for all stores. Unfortunately I'm unsure if this software defect has made it onto the development roadmap with a tangible ETA. That's where things stand as to this issue. To me, a post sale edit function to attach a customer to a sale transaction isn't really an enhancement as much as just core functionality of most POS systems...

4 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Thanks for the workaround Greg. Clunky, but works great. I came up with another workaround to avoid emailing the receipt to the customer... just temporarily change the customer's email address to your own (or any address not associated with a customer that you don't mind spamming), then send a receipt via the POS. Once the customer name is attached to that order, just switch the email address back in the customer profile. A whole extra layer of clunky, but as long as we can't edit orders, it'll have to do!

Another +1 to adding post sale order editing to Shopify. The need to edit an order comes up often for us. Sometimes the customer name gets missed in the busyness of entering transactions. Other times we need to edit the order date. We are often entering manual/phone orders into the POS after the fact and if we want the order to show in the actual month of sale, let alone the actual day, we have to be super-diligent... especially near the end of the month. Shopify analytics could be a great sales tool for us, but if we don't have accurate data going in, then the numbers become meaningless. Please add this feature Shopify! 

0 Likes