After POS free trial ends, what should popup stores use?

Highlighted
Explorer
99 0 20

So my shop is just online, no brick and mortar.  But I do several popup events each year, think sort of like a farmers market.  I've been using the (old version) POS and it's worked well for me.  Since I don't use it very much, I am not willing to pay $89/month for it.  What will I need to use after the free trial ends?  Also, I tried the new POS and was less than impressed with it so I'd prefer to keep using the old classic version, but it sounds like they're taking that away.  Will I be out of luck after Nov 1st?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
503 42 68

Hello, @Sharon15!

Ash here from the Shopify team. Thank you for reaching out with your question! 

I absolutely appreciate your concern. As a merchant who infrequently does pop-up events, I can definitely understand not wanting to pay an additional $89/month for Shopify POS Pro. Good news is we are also offering Shopify POS Lite, which is included for free on all Shopify plans. This means you will be able to continue primarily running your store online as per usual, but when the time comes for you to hold a pop up event, you can do so with Shopify POS Lite!

Here is a link to the documentation in our Help Center which goes over the key features included in Shopify POS Lite vs Shopify POS Pro. That document also has information on switching to and using the all new POS! Additionally, this link here has some more details on the POS features, as well as pricing. While you can switch back to Shopify POS Classic at this time, come October 31st 2020 that will no longer be an option.

May I ask what aspects of Shopify POS Classic were most important to you? I'd love to get some feedback so we can work towards ensuring the all new POS is as valuable as possible to our merchants! 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Explorer
99 0 20

Hi Ash,

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful.  I'll read the info on POS Lite.

As a pop-up store, I just want me POS to be as easy as possible to use, and check my customers out as quickly as possible.  I liked in the classic how all my products were listed on one screen so to check a customer out, I would tap the product he chose, select the variant (size, color) to add it to the cart. 

I tried to simulate this with the POS Pro free trial last weekend (my next popup is day after tomorrow so I was testing the POS) and it didn't go very well.  I was able to add most of my products as tiles to the home screen, but then for unknown reasons couldn't add any more.  It seemed like there was a limit to the number of tiles, sort of, but I couldn't add the missing product to the second page of tiles either.  I tried multiple times to add the product and it would say there was already a tile for it, but it was nowhere to be found. 

I also looked at just the product page of the POS Pro.  It modelled the web browser interface which wasn't terrible, but not as fast as I needed for a popup event.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
503 42 68

Hi, @Sharon15!

It's my pleasure! Thank you as well for the feedback you've provided. I've brought your thoughts to our retail team, as we always keep user feedback in mind for future product and platform updates. I'm glad to hear the information I shared previously was helpful, so here are a few more links to our POS help documents which you may find useful: Getting Started with Shopify POS, and Shopify POS FAQ.

As for the issue you experienced with the product tiles, I'm happy to look into this further with you. Would you be able to share some more information on this? Here are some pieces of information that would be helpful: 

• A screenshot of the notice stating there is already a tile created for the product in question
  • Screenshots of your existing tiles showing there is none for the product in question
  • Any other error messages you may be receiving
  • Is your device fully up to date? 
  • Is your POS app fully up to date? 

I look forward to hearing back and further offering my support! 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes