All POS Orders added to online orders and notification e-mail from every order?

Mactan
Visitor
3 0 0

Hey all,

Sorry if this is a simple question but all my orders from Shopify POS are being added to all my online orders on my website.  We run a espresso bar and every single coffee sales is being added and this is not wanted, how do I disable this?

Also, we are receiving a notification e-mail from every single POS order, can I disable this?

Cheers.

Replies 42 (42)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @Mactan

My name is Helen. I work for Shopify. Welcome to the Community.

Your Shopify admin is the control center for your business, and so all Orders from every sales channel will show up on your Orders page. However, you can filter them by sales channel to view or export Orders from an individual channel. Each Order also shows which sales channel it was processed on, making it easier to distinguish between them. This is visible at the top of the Order, as seen here:

25-24-6m3y5-z3fcy

Making use of your Shopify Analytics reports is another great way to view your store activity by sales channel.

It is possible to disable new order notification emails for POS Orders only. To do this, please go to ‘Settings > Notifications > Staff order notifications' from within your Shopify admin. Staff order notifications are set up based on location, so simply remove the notification for the email address that you are receiving the POS notifications to. If wanted, you can then create a new notification for the orders received online only.

25-03-yaan8-15pcx

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

cl0ckw3rkz
Visitor
2 0 2

I'd love to no longer receive emails/mobile push notifications from our POS sales when I'm only personally concerned with online sales.

I've removed notifications and re-added them as instructed to no avail. I suspect this isn't user-error. Any help would be very appreciated. Otherwise, It appears I'm going to be dealing with a ton of Shopify-specific 'spam'.

Thank you.

Brandon

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @cl0ckw3rkz

Thanks for your question.

To no longer receive email notifications for new orders coming through your POS locations, please be sure you only have a notification set up for Web in ‘Settings > Notifications > Staff Order Notifications’, as seen here:

20-05-4xmk2-88asc

If you have notifications set up for All or any of your specific Locations, then you will receive an email for all new orders coming in from all of the channels. Feel free to share a screenshot of how your notifications are set up, and I’m happy to direct you towards any adjustments that need to be made.

The new order push notifications that are delivered via the mobile app however, are not currently able to be customized. If these notifications are turned on, any new order, regardless of the sales channel, will result in a notification on your phone. 

I appreciate your feedback regarding being able to specify the type of order to receive notifications for on the Shopify App, therefore I have passed your suggestion along to our developers. 

If I can help with anything else, let me know!

SpencerCran
Excursionist
15 0 108

I would like to upvote this feature request so we only get orders that are placed through all channels except POS. Thanks.

SpencerCran
Excursionist
15 0 108

Also, question to Helen. Do you recommend setting up "Web" as a separate location from the physical store? At the moment, I only have one physical location, and one day could have two. Thanks for suggestion.

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @SpencerCran.

Thanks for reaching out! I’m not sure I fully understand your question. If the following explanation does not help, kindly elaborate further.

When selecting Web for your new order notifications, this will notify you only for orders that are placed through your storefront. So, a customer would need to go to your website from their computer or phone, and make their purchase. These orders will always be identified as having been processed through the Online Store, as seen below, even if you only have one location set up on your account.

20-06-r3eec-mocfp

Now, the location you have set up on your account, will then be associated with your POS orders, since the POS is for physical "in-store" purchases, and thus will automatically assign itself to the one location you have created.

When you do create a second physical location for your business, you’ll need to add that address in ‘Settings > Locations’. This second address won’t affect your Web new order notifications, and you’ll be able to set up new order notifications separately for each one of your two physical locations where you use the POS.

You’ll then also need to specify on your POS app which location you are at when selling in person, so that the notifications are sent properly. For more info on this, please see the Help Doc on POS Locations.

Does this help? Let me know!

SpencerCran
Excursionist
15 0 108

Thank you. I was trying to figure out how to only have push notifications for the website purchases sent to my devices. At the moment, we get order notifications every time someone also buys from the POS too. I was thinking that maybe if web was one location and POS was another that the system could weed out the notifications for POS. 

Bottom line is that we do not need to be notified of a POS order, but do need it for online. It would certainly make it easier to know when to jump on an online order to pull inventory.

Best

Spencer

IdealBham
Excursionist
38 0 13

agreed this is super annoying to get notified with each in-store sale. We would prefer only notifications for online sales. Following here in case there's a solution. 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks, @SpencerCran and @IdealBham for providing your feedback as well.

I have sent in a request to our developers on your behalf too to be able to customize the push notifications on the mobile app. You can keep up to date on any changes and updates as they become available on the Shopify Changelog here.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

SpencerCran
Excursionist
15 0 108

Whoo hoo! Thanks. The stores in our franchise using it have also expressed this same issue. We appreciate you passing it on.

Spencer

KurtisSpade
Tourist
5 0 14

i agree, please allow the options for only push notifications for online sales not POS sales. 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

My pleasure, @SpencerCran!

Thanks for your feedback as well, @KurtisSpade. It's been passed along.  

mikea001
Excursionist
34 1 19

Hi Helen,

Please add my business to the up vote in adding in this feature to the mobile app.

We need to be reactive to online orders and will just end up switching off the notifications or becoming numb to them like the boy who cried wolf!

How has this not been added to the changelog yet?!

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thank you for expressing your interest in this as well, @mikea001. I have submitted a request on your behalf too.

Let me know if you have any other concerns. 

Jewelcam
Explorer
48 0 32

Yes I just got off of chat requesting the same feature. I don’t need to be notified of a POS on my phone. But I do for an online order. Currently there is no way to filter orders on my phone to see what I need to prepare for shipping  from my brick and mortar. 

shopify is making me lug a laptop around and goto admin to filter. This is crazy. What’s the purpose of the app? 

The option to disable pos or the option to filter order channels on the phone should have been in the first release.  Who’s thinking about the work flow? Cave men? 

shopify engineers are like politicians they  live in a bubble and have no ideal of a real world mom and pop store. 

For Shopify to live up to its hype it needs to hire real working retailers that know the ins and outs of operating a brick and mortar store with online commerce. 

you just got to do better... 

Shopify should simplify not complicate. 

camdobyer
Tourist
5 0 3

+1 to this. It's causing havoc having all the POS orders ping and losing track of the website orders. It's actually a really big problem at the moment..

ReadisonLtd
Visitor
1 0 1

I see the last post was in June, it there an update for this? Agree, needing to be able to switch off POS notifications is functionality I would have thought Shopify would build as standard. Thanks in advanced

mikea001
Excursionist
34 1 19

As well as notification setting, can you please also add an auto-archive function for POS sales only

SteliosKapa
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

+1 Would also like to have the option to disable POS notifications and have only online orders pop-up. 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thank you all for your feedback! We really appreciate your help in letting us know how to continually improve the platform to make it work better for you and your business.

@camdobyer  and @SteliosKapa, your feedback has now been submitted. Thanks for being candid in your concerns; @camdobyer, I can see how this can be an inconvenience. Have you considered temporarily turning the push notifications off on your mobile app, and instead enabling email notifications for your online orders only? The steps to set your email notifications by location can be found in an earlier reply within this thread, posted on 10-25-2019.

@ReadisonLtd, thanks for checking in on the status of this request. I don’t have any updates in regards to it’s progress at this time. As you can imagine there are a lot of feature requests being consistently received, and so it can take time to work through them all. The more requests for a particular feature, the better though. Therefore, I have also submitted a request for this on your behalf too! I recommend keeping an eye on the Shopify Changelog for the most up-to-date information on changes and improvements on the platform.

@mikea001, I appreciate your addition to this thread. There is an option within the POS Settings to auto fulfill in-store orders for when your customer leaves with their purchase. Enabling auto fulfill would then auto archive them as well. See here for more information about this. Is this what you were looking for?

mikea001
Excursionist
34 1 19

@Helen 

mikea001, I appreciate your addition to this thread. There is an option within the POS Settings to auto fulfill in-store orders for when your customer leaves with their purchase. Enabling auto fulfill would then auto archive them as well. See here for more information about this. Is this what you were looking for?

We already automatically fulfill our orders and they do not automatically archive.

We are actually looking to remove our automatic fulfillment settings due to operational changes.

I would strongly suggest that Shopify treat the POS orders different to Web orders otherwise issues will persist.

This just seems to obvious but couldn't Shopify just segregate the orders tab so that POS orders are filters somewhere else? For example:

• Web Orders
  • POS Orders (only enabled with POS sales channel enabled)
  • Drafts
  • Abandoned Checkouts

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks for the quick reply, @mikea001! Could you please confirm that the orders that do not automatically archive, are orders where your customers make the purchase and leave with the product from your retail location immediately? Because at this time these are the only types of orders that should be automatically fulfilling and archiving. Orders that are being shipped or picked up, as explained in the link I provided in the last post (see below), will not be automatically fulfilled and archived. I'd like to be sure we look into it for you so that everything is functioning as it should.

20-10-lo9q4-9196h

I’m happy to pass along your feedback for segregating the actual orders page by order type. Any additional details about the functionality you are looking for would be greatly appreciated; The more specific information I can pass onto the developers, the better! For example, have you been making use of the built-in feature where you can filter by sales channel and other parameters like fulfillment status too to make it easier to organize when needed as seen below? 

20-10-rq3vc-pgyuw

Once filtered by channel and status for example, orders can then be archived in bulk from the More actions button, as seen here:

20-10-rkk47-4j052

What are the roadblocks you are facing using this filtering option? I’ll keep an eye out for your reply.

mikea001
Excursionist
34 1 19
They are products sold from our POS that do not archive automatically
Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks for clarifying! I’d like to take a look at it from my end and possibly loop in the Tech team to fix this up for you. Therefore, please keep an eye out for my email so that we can proceed. 

Thanks!

Walking_Lightly
Tourist
4 0 3

It appears from notes that it was once possible to change notification location, in my settings, it says 'All' and there is no option to change this. Just agreeing with the other voices here that I would like to get notification of online orders but do not want POS order notifications. I want to set up pick up option, but the constant pos notifications mean that the online orders would likely get drowned out and I'm hesitant until this can be resolved. If I'm just missing something, please let me know. Thanks!

Jewelcam
Explorer
48 0 32

HI Ms Helen add me to that list

thank you

FriendshipBaker
Visitor
1 0 0

upvote

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks for reaching out, @FriendshipBaker and @Jewelcam. I’ve submitted a feature request to be able to select which new order push notifications will be enabled on the Shopify mobile app, on your behalf as well now too. If I can help with anything else, please let me know.

MBB1
Tourist
3 0 1

Please +1,000,000 to this request. I too need push notifications for web orders ONLY. Getting dozens of push notifications about POS sales makes WEB sales push notifications get lost.  Email notification option is a bad option- too many emails and you have to manually check your email regularly. 

I tried adding email notification to Location:Web as XXXXXXXXXX@txt.att.net hoping the email would become a text but that did not work. 

PLEASE ADD LOCATIONS TO PUSH NOTIFICATIONS.

Thank you.

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks for your detailed feedback, @MBB1; I’ve passed it along to our developers. As well, just a reminder that all recent upgrades to the platform are posted on the Shopify Changelog. So this will be the best way to know if and/or when this feature is implemented.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

MBB1
Tourist
3 0 1

UPDATE: adding XXXXXXXXXX@txt.att.net as an email address and selecting only WEB sales DID WORK. It took a few days to actually come through as text messages- no idea why it took so long for the 1st text but after that they came through quickly. Very clunky but it does mean you can get text messages for new web orders and no notifications for POS sales. 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thank you for this update, @MBB1! That’s wonderful you were able to find a workaround for this, and very generous of you to share it in this thread. I’m sure it will help a lot of others who are facing the same challenge.

Thanks again!

blazerformen
Visitor
1 0 0

Please add my request to the growing list for this basic functionality. 

We just migrated our brick and mortar business to the Shopify ecosystem, after being online only with Shopify, connected through a manual sync API to a separate robust inventory/POS system for a few years.

Online orders would come in, cha-ching! would ring throughout the employee's phones and everyone would jump to action to serve the online customer.

We process dozens of orders per hour on POS, which now functionally clogs up the important notifications our sales people receive when an online order comes through. This is impacted our customer service, as follow up times have increased and the potential to have online orders slip through the cracks increases dramatically. Did not anticipate this issue, and by the looks of it we shouldn't hold our breath either... considering this basic functionality has not been implemented after years of being requested. 

Now to cobble together a sms-forwarding-email-patchwork solution...

ParkAveWines
Visitor
2 0 1

Helen, 

This thread is nearly 1.5 years old, but I hope to get an answer. I understand how to set the notification for "Web" only (online orders), and to omit my physical location (POS orders on-site). 

But my problem is that the app on my Android phone and my partner's iPhone is receiving notifications for "All" already, and the issue I'm facing is that: 

1. We cannot click to open and edit those lines to change to "Web" from "All". We may only Disable or Delete. 

2. We cannot delete them and add it again, selecting only "Web", because the list of contacts for the notifications are only a manually entered email address, or one of the Team Members set up in Shopify. But when I tried selecting my own name from that list, it just emails to my company email. It does NOT send the notification through the app on my phone. I need that type of notification, through the app. 

How can I achieve this? 

Neil 

MBB1
Tourist
3 0 1

@ParkAveWines / Neil-

I wish Shopify had updated this but as far as i can tell it still sucks. What i had to do (in detail above) is to TURN OFF ALL app notifications and then add an email notification for web orders only. I tricked the site by sending the email to a text message address. Just google your cell phone provider but some of the major ones are:

AT&T: phonenumber@txt.att.net

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net

Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com or phonenumber@vzwpix.com

Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com

If anyone has found a better way to get alerts for WEB ORDERS ONLY and not POS order, please post. 

And @Shopify please add this feature!!!!!

ParkAveWines
Visitor
2 0 1
WOW! Thanks!!!! For now I just removed the cell phone app notification for
"All" and set only one notification to be sent to our company email
address. I figure I get EVERY email notification on my phone anyway. But it
was nice to have the Shopify app notifications as they really stand out and
I don't just quickly swipe to dismiss like I often do with email
notifications on my phone.

So strange that it set up perfectly from the get go to send notifications
to the app, then won't let me edit it for something other than "All".
Literally who would even need a notification on your phone or tablet
letting you know that you JUST rang up a sale on the very tablet or phone
you are using when you ring the sale???? Crazy!

FYI, different subject altogether, but I was so stoked to switch from
Square and Square Online to Shopify for so many reasons. But we went live
yesterday and I just found out the hard way that (drumroll...) Shopify is
apparently the only payment gateway-based POS and e-commerce solution that
freaking doesn't let you store customer credit cards in their profile to,
literally, make sales! Even the CUSTOMER is forbidden to store their own
payment method in their own account!!!!

My business model is 99% based on selling things to rich, busy people where
I say, "Hey you need this", and they say "great I'll take it... charge my
card"... the end.

Shopify support suggests I built "draft sales" or invoices and send to them
for payment, etc. That will never ever work. Not my model. I'm screwed.

After six months of sleepless work to get this all set up, in 24 hours
they've shown that we cannot use the Shopify system at all. Suuuuuuuucks.

WonderWells
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Helen, 

in my store there is no option to choose the location. appears by definition "all". why?

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @WonderWells. You’re right. The new order notifications are added to ‘All’ channels by default. In order set them up for specific channels or locations, you’ll need to create a new notification for the specific location or channel following the steps on the Help Doc Add a recipient for new order notifications. You can then of course, delete the default notification so that you aren’t being sent the same notification multiple times. 

Let me know if this helps!

GS_JA
Tourist
4 0 3

Just came here to say that it's May 2023 and this BASIC FEATURE to disable POS notifications is still not an option. Shopify, do better!

MiyaOka
Visitor
1 0 0

Also wanting the same thing! It seems like it should be a pretty easy thing to accomodate! I really would love to not get the hundreds of notifications for our POS transacations, but need to get the notifications for a few sales a day that happen online. 

SeanEdge
Visitor
1 0 1

I am in the process of switching to Shopify and this issue really bothers me. I can do an email workaround but that is just annoying and should easily be fixable. I too would like to add a request for the feature in the app.

Cookie4
Visitor
1 0 0

How can shopify not have fixed this by now? This is insanely important and should be very easy to fix.