Any Shopify POS users in France ? ??

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hello everyone,

I am looking for people in France who use the Shopify POS.

If you know someone who can share his experience with me it could be awesome !

Thanks, Antoine

1 Like
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hey,

I'm also interested for some feedback !
The Shopify team doesn't really have an answer to what exactly can we do in France, so I'm waiting for some feedback from them after calling the support line.

So far here's what I gathered :

- You can use POS
- You can connect POS on your iOs device to compatible hardware like the scanner, cash register, receipt printer.
- You can scan products out, create an order, cash it and print a receipt.
- You can customise the receipt info. The template is in french.
- You can only use cash, and technically you should be able to use "external credit" to indicate when someone pays with a credit card though your credit card payment gateway. Though, on the test account I have, I only see "Cash"... that's weird.

You can't process card payments with POS (Shopify Payments doesn't work in France yet). So I went testing iZettle for payment processing.

PROBLEM 1 : You need either another printer connected to iZettle, or a printer that can work with both Shopify and iZettle so to print credit card receipt at the end (Star printers or the Star mPop apparently work with both)
PROBLEM 2 : iZettle prints full receipts with list of products or transaction name, credit card info, transaction code and the whole shebang, when here what you'd only need is a credit card receipt. The detailed receipt was printed by Shopify already. This brings problem 3 and 4.
PROBLEM 3 : When a client's card fails, you should be able to print a failure/abandonned receipt, not that I believe it to be legal, but it's customary and reassuring. That confirms the payment gateway MUST be connected to a printer.
SOLUTION : OK, so here we could simply have the follwing setup

• 1 iOs device with Shopify POS
  • Connected over bluetooth to a printer, cash register and barcode scanner.
  • 1 other iOs device with iZettle or any 3rd party payment gateway
  • Connected over bluetooth to a second printer

And you'd simply enter the final amount on your iZettle app, and click PAY. Your Shopify stock is up to date, it's all fine. Your client gets two big receipts, it sort of doesn't make sense, but who cares !!!

PROBLEM 4 : when a client asks for a refund !!! If it's a cash refund, good, you can do that with Shopify POS. If it's a card refund, you need to see this with your payment gateway. With iZettle I'm disappointed that you can only refund a card by searching for the transaction, and clicking refund. I believe all credit card processors with behave the same ! (I believe SumUp does the same and standard POS systems also). It's not an issue when you need to refund the entire order. But if the client just wants a refund for one product out of many .... you can only refund the said amount if you had created a transaction that separates all products to the order.
So basically you'd need to either enter manually as many amounts as there are products to the order (which takes forever, I tried), or you need to find a way to import all your products list from Shopify to iZettle (it's feasible though excel) and use a barcode scanner that can be paired to two iOs devices at the same time !! Which is impossible to know, I've got in touch with Socket concerning their 7Ci model, I don't yet have an answer.

As you can see it's a fucked up thing for now. I don't know what I'm going to do, I'm looking at other solutions than Shopify. I don't know their plans for France.

I've joined a facebook group called Communauté Shopify France to get some info and help.

Let us know if you learn something.

Cheers
Kevin

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hey,

The Shopify team doesn't really have an answer to what exactly can we do in France, so I'm waiting for some feedback from them after calling the support line.

- You can use POS
- You can connect POS on your iOs device to compatible hardware like the scanner, cash register, receipt printer.
- You can only use cash, and technically you should be able to use "external credit" to indicate when someone pays with a credit card though your credit card payment gateway. Though, on the test account I have, I only see "Cash"... that's weird.

You can't process card payments with POS (Shopify Payments doesn't work in France yet). So I went testing iZettle for payment processing.

PROBLEM 1 : You need either another printer connected to iZettle, or a printer that can work with both Shopify and iZettle so to print credit card receipt at the end (Star printers or the Star mPop apparently work with both)
PROBLEM 2 : iZettle prints full receipts with list of products or transaction name, credit card info, transaction code and the whole shebang, when here what you'd only need is a credit card receipt. The detailed receipt was printed by Shopify already. This brings problem 3 and 4.
PROBLEM 3 : When a client's card fails, you should be able to print a failure/abandonned receipt, not that I believe it to be legal, but it's customary and reassuring. That confirms the payment gateway MUST be connected to a printer.

And you'd simply enter the final amount on your iZettle app, and click PAY. Your Shopify stock is up to date, it's all fine. Your client gets two big receipts, it sort of doesn't make sense, but who cares !!!

PROBLEM 4 : when a client asks for a refund !!! If it's a cash refund, good, you can do that with Shopify POS. If it's a card refund, you need to see this with your payment gateway. With iZettle I'm disappointed that you can only refund a card by searching for the transaction, and clicking refund. I believe all credit card processors with behave the same ! (I believe SumUp does the same and standard POS systems also). It's not an issue when you need to refund the entire order. But if the client just wants a refund for one product out of many .... you can only refund the said amount if you had created a transaction that separates all products to the order.
So basically you'd need to either enter manually as many amounts as there are products to the order (which takes forever, I tried), or you need to find a way to import all your products list from Shopify to iZettle (it's feasible though excel) and use a barcode scanner that can be paired to two iOs devices at the same time !! Which is impossible to know, I've got in touch with Socket concerning their 7Ci model, I don't yet have an answer.

As you can see it's a fucked up thing for now. I don't know what I'm going to do, I'm looking at other solutions than Shopify. I don't know their plans for France.

I've joined a facebook group called Communauté Shopify France to get some info and help.

Cheers
Kevin

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hey,

- You can use POS

Cheers
Kevin

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hey,

- You can use POS

Cheers
Kevin

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hey,

- You can use POS
- You can only use cash, and technically you should be able to use "external credit" to indicate when someone pays with a credit card though your credit card payment gateway. Though, on the test account I have, I only see "Cash" coz I don't have an iPad and full view of the app.

Cheers
Kevin

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hey,

So far here's what I gathered, and I don't see any serious possibility :

- You can use POS
- You can only use cash, and technically you should be able to use "external credit" to indicate when someone pays with a credit card though your credit card payment gateway. Though, on the test account I have, I only see "Cash" coz I don't have an iPad and full view of the app.

And finally, it makes no sense because if you record cash transactions on Shopify and card transactions elsewhere, this does not comply with the NF525 tax legislation that will be enforced in 2018. So you'd have to even enter cash transactions on both Shopify and iZettle. In the end there's always something you do twice and loose time.

As you can see it's a fu**ed up thing for now. I don't know what I'm going to do, I'm looking at other solutions than Shopify. I don't know their plans for France.

Cheers
Kevin

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hey,

- You can use POS

Cheers
Kevin

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hey,

So far here's what I gathered, and I don't see any possible solution :

- You can use POS

And finally, it makes no sense because if you record cash transactions on Shopify and card transactions elsewhere, this does not comply with the NF525 tax legislation that will be enforced in 2018.

As you can see it's a fu**ed up thing for now. I don't know what I'm going to do, I'm looking at other solutions than Shopify. I don't know their plans for France.

Cheers
Kevin

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Hey,

So far here's what I gathered, and I don't see any possible solution :

- You can use POS

And finally, it makes no sense because if you record cash transactions on Shopify and card transactions elsewhere, this does not comply with the NF525 tax legislation that will be enforced in 2018. So you'd have to even enter cash transactions on both Shopify and iZettle. In the end there's always something you do twice and loose time.

Cheers
Kevin

0 Likes