Automatic Discount not working on products in POS store

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 9

My Automatic Discount on products works on my online store but not in the POS store. I had a similar issue trying to setup a buy x get y discount not working on the POS store, support has it listed as a "known issue". Is the automatic discount not porting over to the POS system another known issue?

This is a real problem when advertising items and not being able to have the same discounts for online and instore.

And yes, I know a discount code can be setup to do a discount. The point being it should be integrated to both online without us having to track advertised products instore and applying a discount code when a customer buys it.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
545 54 69

Hello, @OddNodd

Elias here from Shopify Support.

I can understand the frustration with our ‘Buy X Get Y’ and ‘Automatic Discounts’ not being compatible with the Point of Sale app. Although our help guide indicates that ‘Buy X Get Y’ and ‘Automatic Discounts’ only work with online sales, I can see how this would be a useful feature to have for POS. This is definitely something that I will be putting forth as a feature request to our developers so that it can help us grow our discount features.

While advertisement campaigns do not actually integrate into the POS for any tracking purposes, our system does allow you to apply a combination of discounts to an order. Here is our guide for ‘Applying discounts in Shopify POS’. If you have retail staff that helps manage in-person sales, please make sure they are aware of which promotions are available and they should be able to apply them to the orders. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 4

I agree.  The discount feature should be available on POS.  Would make things so much easier. 

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
545 54 69

Hey, @RGarcia.

Thank you for posting and sharing this feedback. I’d be happy to share your feedback with our developers as well. Are there any further details you’d like to share that can help improve the discount functions with the POS?

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

I have had to pay our loyalty points/vip program to get an "automatic" discount. It's not truly automatic but it at least brings up the discount for our cashiers so all they have to do is redeem. This was the only work around and I agree Shopify POS should have this function as every POS I have ever worked with (POSIM, QB, Lightspeed, and CIN7) all have this basic function. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
545 54 69

Hey, @Terry_Kast.

Thank you for sharing this feedback. I've gone ahead and shared this feedback with our developers as a feature request so that it can be considered for future updates. If Shopify moves forward with feature, you can find it in our changelog or announcements page.

If you have any other questions on this topic, feel free to let me know in this thread.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 4
Yes, its absurd that this feature is not available in POS. They are supposed to work in tandem. Make it happen.
4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
545 54 69

Hey, @RhysCallender .

Thank you for posting and sharing this feedback with me. I’ll be adding you to the feature request, and sharing this with our developers so they can see how heavily requested this feature is. Were there any other details you’d like to share that can help improve the discount functions with the POS? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 9
I'm not sure it is the same in all themes, but when using the "compare to" pricing it shows it "on sale" on the website. This is how I've been circumventing the automatic discount since it doesn't work on POS. But items using the "compared to" will be discounted again if a discount is applied to the POS checkout. It would be nice if items already on sale did not get additional discounts stacking. In other words, one discount per item, however that makes sense to do.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1
What I do to combat this is the following

Make a "Not on Sale" collection where the product tag is equal to "normal"

Then make an "On Sale" collection where the product is on sale when the compare at price is greater than $1.

Now when you make a discount code you need to just put it towards the collection "Not on Sale" and any other parameters you may need.

This works for us as a work around for the time being however, this is another aspect shopify should look at to make it less labor intensive. For instance my store has 10,00 plus skus. If someone forgets the normal tag or doesn't put it back on when the product isn't on sale it can be a pain.

1 Like