BLUETOOTH PRINTER CONSTANTLY DISCONNECTING SINCE iOS UPDATE

Patrizia_Bordon
5 0 0

We use the Star Micronics TSP650ii printer purchased directly from Shopify. For over a year, the printer has worked fine. On Monday, we updated the iOS and now both the tap, chip, & swipe card reader as well as the printer disconnect over and over and over again.

I thought maybe the card reader was a dud or something, so I switched to the new Shopify branded card reader and it works and stays connected just fine now (we dont want to use this continuously as shopify advertises it as more of a "lite" card reader for "casual" sales. we do volume, so I prefer to stick with the safer card reader).

Anyway, my main issue here is the printer. I have done EVERYTHING. I mean everything. We've factory reset the printer over a dozen times, which obviously includes the removing of the device from the bluetooth + shopify app & re-pairing it over and over again as well.

What is funny, is when the shopify app shows it as disconnected, sometimes it prints anyway. But most of the time it is not working and says disconnected, and you just as well cannot even print a test receipt.

I believe this to definitely be a problem with the shopify app, as the printer remains constantly connected through the ipad's bluetooth settings just fine when the shopify app says disconnected and doesn't work. 

For now we are able to email the receipts to customers, although embarassing, and some people want a printed version. Additionally, since the POS is the only source of the register shifts, we need those out of the POS via printer for our accounting.

right now, if we turn off & on, sometimes it works afterwards, but not for long. we also shouldn't have to do this. this printer is enabled with auto-connect, those indicators lights are working.

Also: we've even disabled all of our touch codes so that both the app & ipad do not ever go to sleep, which at one point seemed to be helping but it actually isn't. We do not want to keep them passcode free for long as it's unsafe. It's not the distance, the network, anything else. Again, it's worked fine for over a year.

Does anybody have a solution other than the basics (resetting, re-pairing, powering on/off, closing out the shopify app, relogging into the app, etc.)?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Patrizia_Bordon
5 0 0

edited above

0 Likes
Patrizia_Bordon
5 0 0

edited above

0 Likes
Patrizia_Bordon
5 0 0

just updating to confirm that it is definitely the shopify app. it happens whenever i leave the app to do anything else on my ipad which is proposterous, and again, only happening since monday.

0 Likes
Shopify_David
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 14

Hi everyone,

We are aware of the issue and have identified it as a bug introduced by Apple as part of iOS 11. Our team is working with the printer manufacturer to figure out a solution to the problem. We apologize for any inconvience this causes and will update the forum once a fix is available.

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
Patrizia_Bordon
5 0 0

Hi David,

Any idea on a timeframe? We need to be able to print receipts for our customers and do our accounting with the register summary. I need a time frame. I also noticed that you updated your post to remove "shopify app update" at the end. I mean, ultimately, that is the only way this is going to get fixed, so why the omission?

It is the shopify app that is affected, the printer works with everything else. I also don't think the printer manufacturer can offer you much help in terms of fixing your app. To them, their printer is performing just fine.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Shopify_David
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 14

A new version of both Shopify POS and Apple iOS is available which solves this problem. Please update both to have the Bluetooth printer work as expected. Thanks!

0 Likes
Samantha_Palmer
Tourist
3 0 1

I just did the latest OS update and now my bluetooth printer or barcode scanner will not connect. Our app is up to date. Advice?

0 Likes