Barcode App - Dymo app multiple barcodes

Capital
Excursionist
24 0 18

Hi guys,

I've been trying to use the Integrated barcode app, but the template is not to our liking (price, variant and product name are very small with no way to change this).

So now we are importing the barcodes in the Dymo software and using a custom template, this works fine except for 1 thing:

- You can't select how many barcodes you want for each variant. Is there any way around this, because it pretty much makes the dymo software useless for us and forces us back to Shopify (btw please give us more customisation options for the barcode app and we are happy as well :)).

Patrick_Moloney
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
224 1 26

Hey there!

Patrick, a Shopify Guru here :). 

At the moment, the Dymo software doesn't have the option to set how many labels you print off it would just read the information directly from the CSV and prints out whatever it finds. That being said it is possible to print off multiple labels by opening up the CSV and just copying the products you want extra labels for, saving it and then running it through Dymo. :)

Hope that helps :)
Patrick
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Sung_Kokko
1 0 1

This is all so much extra work. Work smarter not more. I just want to print the label as soon as I've entered a new product. I don't want to have to export a csv file, open the csv file, change the csv file, save, import the csv file, tweak the label, and print ONE label. So inefficient!

Peter_Sutton1
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Patrick I totally agree with both members that Shopify should do something about giving more control on the barcode template that is supported by shopify. you talk about how good shopify is but you let us down when it comes to such an important part of retailing. We are busy people and just want things to work right so that we can spend more time with our customers rather than sit in the back room tweeking csv files. Alternately DYMO should provide the ability to read quanity of labels required for each stock item. It looks like a case of passing the buck with no winners. Sorry to be so blunt. 

Capital
Excursionist
24 0 18

It's quite easy, just give us more customisation options within shopify and we don't even need to bother with the Dymo software. 

But as it is right now it just doesn't cut it for a POS.

Rachel_Heller1
1 0 1

We have the same annyoing issue. As you say it is easily solved by Shopify giving more options to customize the label layout in the Shopify barcode app. Can't be that hard. Shopify asks for customer feedback, gets it but despite this does nothing. If it was an issue that a minor few requested then the priority might not be catogarized as high. This deficiency with the labels has however been requested over and over again for several years by an extensive number of shopify customers but still nothing. Highly disappointing for a potentially good product.

Liz_S_
1 0 0

Replying because I'm having the same issue.  We're currently in the process of (attempting to) shift from Lightspeed OnSite to Shopify POS.  I'm getting stuck on re-stickering our items, many of which do not have UPC labels.  Unfortunately, we're not able to get our Shopify barcode reader to accept the Lightspeed generated barcodes, so I have to switch.  

I need to be able to batch print, either by assembling a manual list, or by a filter in Shopify's product list, or ideally, off the "Transfer".  

I'm genuinely curious what everyone has done since this question originally posted - we're stuck needing to resticker about 5000 pieces of merchandise with 150-300 arriving daily.  A one-by-one or copy/paste solution isn't going to work.

Should I halt the move to Shopify and stick with Lightspeed POS?  To be honest, this is the second attempt in 3 years to make this move.  I want so badly to use Shopify POS since the ecommerce platform is so strong.  I get stuck on simple things like this barcode issue, the inability to separate physical location inventory, the inability to list cost for a product and I have a feeling quite a few more obstacles ahead when we actually start taking sales. 

0 Likes
Susan19
2 0 1

Just a thought before restickering. I just moved from QB POS and could not get the scanner to read the old labels. Then I added leading zeros so the barcode in Shopify so it was 6 digits and the old labels could be scanned. 

Having said that, none of new products entered in Shopify since will work that way... no leading zeros.

Also, the barcode app generates codes that are 8 digits long. I've spent hours with dymo trying to get the bar code to print on the 1x1 label for those with no luck. So I can't use that feature and will have to create all new bar codes manually...big time suck. And I can't use the Simple Shopify label because it doesn't allow info to indicate the product..staffers don't know which labels go on which product.

For me, these could be resolved by having the following enhancements to the simple barcode app:

1. Allow I line of text that could be product name/variant value or straight text. This could be truncated at say 16 chars

2. Allow a 2nd line for the same as above.

i know these are not a full list of desired features, but they'd would allow me to use the app.

i happy to work with a Shopify developer to get the issues documented and resolved. This is a huge gap and oversight.

Erica_Essink
1 0 0

I couldn't agree more with Susan. I, too, have spent hours trying to get a 1x1 barcode to print from the Dymo software. Susan, did you successfully print a 6 digit barcode on a 1x1 label using the Dymo software? Because I'm considering changing all my 8-digit barcodes  to 6-digit just so I can print from the Dymo software, but I haven't been able to even the 6-digit barcode to work. It still says "try to increase width". Any ideas?

0 Likes
Matt37
Explorer
52 0 28

We are moving from QB POS to Shopify, and I was able to load product barcodes easily. I ran a item detail report, make sure the Item Number is included. I found the barcode in the item number, I assume yours is the same. 

Export to excel. Highlight the item Number column; Format Cells > Number > Custom > enter "000000"

Integrate that into your CSV file and upload, worked super easy for us. 

I hope that helps. 

0 Likes