Barcode scanner for POS

Daniela_Pahl-Hu
3 0 0

Hi there,

is there any way to make another barcode scanner, listed as here: https://help.shopify.com/manual/sell-in-person/hardware/barcode-scanners, work with Shopify's POS application? I'm a bit frustrated because I got a 3rd party one (not really cheap) but it seems that it doesn't work.

Any solution to this?

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
Saša
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
8 0 1

Hi Daniela,

Saša here from Shopify!

Unfortunately the only barcode scanners that will work and can be supported by Shopify are the ones listed in the guide you linked.

Any make and model barcode scanner outside of the ones listed above can't be guaranteed to work, and if you are able to return them, I recommend doing so and ordering one of the supported ones. If you are located in Canada, the US, or the UK, you can order them directly from our hardware store. If not, you can try contacting the manufacturer Socket Mobile to see if they know of any distributors in your country/area.

If the scanner you purchased is the one of the make and model(s) listed above, please contact our support team for troubleshooting steps on pairing it with the POS.

Cheers,

Saša | Support Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Ben_Thomson
Tourist
5 0 1

o

0 Likes
JasonM2020
Excursionist
12 0 12

This seems a bit of a shame to say the least, as, looking at the reviews on Amazon, this scanner is not great. In fact, 1 in 4 customers think it's not fit for purpose. This is an essential component - find a better one please Shopify, instead of insisting we pay £270 (including essential cradle) per pop for substandard equipment.

AbN
2 0 1

I am having issues with Socket Scanners at my business so I am not happy with the limited use of these two either.  I am new to shopify and Id really like the ability to utilize a USB linked barcode scanner as well.  I don't like Square but ,y other business is with them and their register systems even have a USB input ability.  I like the most wireless solution but for a POS system in a store... a barcode scanner is a MUST and there are better suited ones than Socket Mobile.  Thank you

0 Likes
Charlie506
Excursionist
23 1 1

HI @AbN 

Have a look at our App EasyScan, you are able to create orders and fulfill orders using any barcode scanner. 

As long as your scanner can output the barcode into a standard word document it will work with our app.

We have a 10 day free trial so I would recommend downloading it and seeing if it will work for you - https://apps.shopify.com/easyscan-inventory-and-order

If you would like a demo let me know!

Thanks,

Charlie

If my comments are helpful, please Like my post and Accept Solution.
Product Manager at 506.io
0 Likes
whickey15
1 0 0

Can anyone confirm a working alternative (not app), to the over $200 socketscan's? It doesn't seem like shopify is interested in offering support of other scanners...

0 Likes
AbN
2 0 1

Hello @Charlie506 
I didn't know about it but at your added cost I can just keep buying SocketUnits  as they get broken 

Miss_Jrob
Tourist
4 0 1

Agreed! I've had my Socket for almost 3 years and it's given me drama since day one. I've done all the trouble shooting imaginable and it really slows down my checkout process. Anyone have luck finding a 3rd party one that actually works? Something electronic or non-bluetooth is preferred. 

0 Likes
Libby_Story
Tourist
3 0 2

I agree. Socket is a terrible scanner. i am on here now hoping for an update on this. I have been looking for an alternative since the first day we started using them in 2015. They are crazy expensive compared to a standard hard wired scanner. Ours are double scanning now so we have to check every ticket carefully to make sure we are not charging the customer twice. Socket must be bribing the person in charge of hardware. There is no way Shopify can care about its customer and make them use socket scanners.