Barcode scanner

jwlee624
Tourist
8 0 3

Which scanner should I buy? The 1D or 2D. I can't find any clarifying info on the difference between the 2 scanners.

0 Likes
Jason41
Explorer
53 0 18

If you intend to use the Shopify gift card feature then you need the 2D scanner as the gift cards scanable image can only be read by a 2D not 1D scanner.  That is only difference (setting aside the difference in price)

Shopify_David
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 14

Hello, Just wanted to mention that we now support using the front facing camera of the iPad for scanning 2D barcodes generated by gift cards. If you do not require a 2D barcode scanner for your own purposes, the biggest advantage of purchasing the 2D barcode scanner with respect to Shopify POS will be to future proof yourself against new features that may take advantage of the additional data provided in the 2D barcode format. And of course, the 2D barcode scanner still supports 1D barcodes. Hope this helps!

jwlee624
Tourist
8 0 3

Thank you for the response. That was a hesitation of mine. Buying the 1D and it not support your new upgrades as they are released. 

0 Likes
Bernard_Colgan
2 0 0

A barcode essentially is a way to encode information in a visual pattern that a machine can read. 1D code is the typical "picket fence" style barcode that people are most familiar with. 2D barcodes are a bit more complex as they organize information vertically and horizontally.  2D codes require an imager scanner to be read properly. I am using the 2D scanners from “Discount Till Rolls Ltd”. Its more effective than 1D code.

0 Likes
Bernard_Colgan
2 0 0

A barcode essentially is a way to encode information in a visual pattern that a machine can read. 1D code is the typical "picket fence" style barcode that people are most familiar with. 2D barcodes are a bit more complex as they organize information vertically and horizontally.  2D codes require an imager scanner to be read properly. I am using the 2D scanners from “Discount Till Rolls Ltd”. Its more effective than 1D code.

0 Likes